Subject: bug#15810: 24.3.50; inappropriate text in (emacs) `Echo Area'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 09:14:35 -0800 (PST)

> > This text has no business being there:
> >
> > (We have not explained buffers yet; see *note Buffers::,
> > for more information about them.)
> 
> It is appropriate for when the manual is read as a book, linearly.

It is unnecessary in that rare case.  And it is inappropriate in
the far more common (in fact, typical) case: when the passage is
not read after reading all of the text linearly, starting from
page one.

Read the bug report, which says that it is not appropriate for the
*hypertext* manual.  Leave it in for the printed manual, if you like
(though even there it is not needed - a forward cross reference
should stand on its own).

> (We have not explained variables either; see *note Variables::,
> for more information about them.)
>
> Irrelevant.

What is irrelevant?  The quoted text from the manual?  Yes, except
for the cross reference it is irrelevant - no, worse, it is
misleading and can confuse.

> This is not a bug, closing.

It is a bug.  Such text simply does not belong in hypertext doc.
The cross references should remain.  The verbiage about your not
having explained XXXX yet is not appropriate for hypertext doc.
(And you should know that by now.)

Reopening.