Subject: bug#15808: closed (Re: bug#15808: 24.3; thing-at-point slow for url and email)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 09:12:03 +0000

Your bug report

#15808: 24.3; thing-at-point slow for url and email

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
15808: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15808
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#15808: 24.3; thing-at-point slow for url and email
From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 17:10:56 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Fixed in 24.4.

On 2013-11-06 14:55 +0800, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Looks OK, thanks.  Maybe other calls to thing-at-point-looking-at could
> benefit as well.

Both url and email used to use thing-at-point-looking-at. But the URL
case has been re-written. So there is only one use of
thing-at-point-looking-at i.e. it's all covered.

Leo

Subject: 24.3; thing-at-point slow for url and email
From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 10:52:10 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-apple-darwin13.0.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0 AppKit
1265) of 2013-10-27 on localhost

While using M-w in simple.el using easy-kill I noticed some delays which
are due to slow (thing-at-point 'url) and (thing-at-point 'email).

If I narrow the buffer, they become instant. However slowness doesn't
appear to be proportional to buffer-size, I tried the org.el file and
they were instant there.

For example

1. goto function next-error-buffer-p in simple.el
2. eval (benchmark-run 10 (thing-at-point 'email))
3. eval (benchmark-run 10 (thing-at-point 'url))

email: (4.415538 0 0.0)
url: (6.74361 0 0.0)

What is choking the regexp engine?

Leo