Subject: bug#15803: default-file-name-coding-system: utf-8 better than latin-1 these days?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 12:55:55 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> All the tools under Linux are so utf-8-focused these days...  let's
>> see...  I first, under a utf-8 locale created the directory "émacs",
>> then converted it to 8859-1:
>
> No, please create the directory with non-ASCII name _after_ switching
> the locale to Latin-1.

Shouldn't the result be the same?  I.e., a name with iso-8859-1 name?
The reason I did it this convoluted name was just that I couldn't
convince my system to make a 8859 name even after changing the locale.
That is, when I typed Alt-gr ' e, my terminal still sent over two bytes
(i.e., in utf-8) instead of a single-byte é.

But I think I know why "make check" was failing:

[larsi@stories ~/src/emacs/trunk]$ echo $LANG
sv_SE.ISO-8859-1
[larsi@stories ~/src/emacs/trunk]$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8

The tests that were failing all talked about "chmod" and stuff, so I'm
guessing they were from a sub shell, and my system is apparently forcing
all new shells to use UTF-8...  And that was because I set the variables
in .bashrc.  I've now made them be 8859 also in sub-shells, but
unfortunately that doesn't help (it was a long shot, anyway -- these
aren't interactive shells, so .bashrc shouldn't be consulted).

make check:

>>Error occurred processing lisp/eshell/eshell-tests.el: File is missing (("Doing chmod" "No such file or directory" "/home/larsi/src/emacs/f\303\263o/test/lisp/eshell/eshell-tests.elcgtybBC"))

This time over, the directory is "fóo" (in latin-1), and that looks like
Emacs is trying to find the utf-8 version of the file name.

So it looks like the patch set has problems, and needs further fixes.
(Or "make check" has some problems here, since Emacs otherwise seems to
work fine.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no