Subject: bug#15803: default-file-name-coding-system: utf-8 better than latin-1 these days?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 15:07:12 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Please try building Emacs from a pristine tarball or a clean
> repository in a directory with non-ASCII characters, under a
> non-UTF-8, non-C locale.  If that works, I think this is good to go.

All the tools under Linux are so utf-8-focused these days...  let's
see...  I first, under a utf-8 locale created the directory "émacs",
then converted it to 8859-1:

[larsi@stories ~/src/emacs]$ convmv --notest -f UTF-8 -t ISO-8859-1 émacs 
mv "./émacs"	"./�macs"

Which ls displays, funnily enough, as:

-rw-r--r--  1 larsi larsi    0 Sep 10 14:50 ''$'\351''macs'

Then I did

export LANG=sv_SE.ISO-8859-1
export LANG=sv_SE.ISO-8859-1

and now the ls says the file is:

And then I build Emacs there, and it seems to work fine.  Then I apply
the patch and say "make:

Loading /home/larsi/src/emacs/�*macs/lisp/subdirs.el (source)...
>>Error occurred processing ../lisp/international/mule-cmds.el: File is missing (("Opening input file" "No such file or directory" "/home/larsi/src/emacs/�*macs/lisp/international/mule-cmds.el"))
make[2]: *** [Makefile:279: ../lisp/international/mule-cmds.elc] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:784: ../lisp/international/mule-cmds.elc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/larsi/src/emacs/�*macs/src'

So that fails pretty much immediately...

OK, let's try a make bootstrap...

And now building Emacs works fine.  So it seems like a make bootstrap is
necessary after applying the patch.

And starting Emacs works fine.

But "make check" fails miserably:

make[3]: *** [Makefile:165: src/eval-tests.elc] Error 1
  ELC      src/font-tests.elc
>>Error occurred processing src/fileio-tests.el: File is missing (("Doing chmod" "No such file or directory" "/home/larsi/src/emacs/\301\203*macs/test/src/fileio-tests.elc7HRcu0"))

So...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no