Subject: bug#15800: 24.3.50; hebrew: describe-input-method, case sensitive or not

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 22:05:20 +0200

> From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 00:05:59 +0530
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > The 'S' label does not mean "press upper-case S", it says that this
> > key will produce an upper-case S when used with Shift, and "some
> > hebrew char" when used without Shift.
> 
> If English Characters are not first class citizens of the script under
> consideration, why even have them in first place.  Having a Uppercase
> ASCII but not having lowercase ASCII seems pretty useless to me. i.e.,
> it gives me a feature that I don't need in the first place.

Simply enough, this is how the Hebrew keyboard look like.  The input
method simply emulates that.

> Anyways, this bug is a good excuse to re-look at why such a decision was
> made and whether it is actually useful in practice.

It is extremely useful to those who are used to this keyboard layout,
because it allows them to type in a familiar environment.