Subject: Re: bug#15787: Standardize license notice?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 10:08:21 +0200

> Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 15:48:31 +0800
> From: Xue Fuqiao <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >> In some files, the license notice starts as:
> >>
> >>    This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or
> >>    [...]
> >>
> >> but in some other files, the license notice starts as:
> >>
> >>     GNU Emacs is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
> >>     [...]
> >
> > The files that use the former language are files we get from other
> > projects and distributions, such as gmulib.  Making these changes in
> > them would just mean more merge conflicts for no good reason.
> >
> > So please don't do this.
> 
> I don't think so.  What about regex.{h, c}?

gnulib

> termcap.c?  tparam.c?

>From GNU termcap, AFAIK.

> Many tests in test/automated?

You will need to talk to their authors: some of thse might come from
external repositories.

> gnus-icalendar.el?

Gnus is developed in a separate repository that is from time to time
synced with Emacs.  If you want to change their copyright notices,
talk to them.

> and so on...

Please present an exhaustive list, it is impossible to argue about "so
on".

In any case, the bulk of the files in this category are from outside
Emacs.  So even if we change a few of them, the majority should not be
modified.