Subject: Problem with incrementing date when clock goes back

From: Samuel Penn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 15:21:37 +0000 (GMT)

The "date" command seems to have a problem when the clock goes back. 
Last Sunday (27th October 2013), the time changed from BST to GMT, 
so we had a day with 25 hours in it.

Running the following gives unexpected results:

# date -s "2013/10/27 00:00:00"
Sun Oct 27 00:00:00 BST 2013
# date --date="+1 day"
Sun Oct 27 23:00:04 GMT 2013
# date --date="tomorrow"
Sun Oct 27 23:00:08 GMT 2013

I would expect that both "+1 day" and "tomorrow" to move the date
to the next day, but neither do so.

Whilst I can accept that "+1 day" actually adds 24 hours (and
therefore gives the above result), I would always expect "tomorrow"
to give tomorrow, regardless of time changes, and regardless of the
current time.

This issue seems to have been raised (and 'fixed') before:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2003-09/msg00001.html

The version of date/coreutils seems to be: GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04

-- 
Samuel Penn
Software Engineer
Perforce Software

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended 
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If 
you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. Please 
note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the 
author and do not necessarily represent those of Perforce Software. Finally, 
the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of 
viruses. Perforce Software accepts no liability for any damage caused by any 
virus transmitted by this email.

Perforce Software UK Ltd is registered in England and Wales as company no. 
3816019 at the following address: West Forest Gate, Wellington Road, Wokingham,
RG40 2AT, UK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------