Subject: Re: bug#15784: 24.3.50; cc-mode bug reporting

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 11:10:31 +0000

Hello, Glenn.

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 08:28:39PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 03, 2013 at 07:31:36PM -0500, Glenn Morris wrote:
> > Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > >> It sends to [email-masked].  It might make sense to change this to
> > >> send to the gnu debbugs list instead, with an appropriate cc-mode tag.

> > If you change c-submit-bug-report to send mail to
> > [email-masked], with an "X-Debbugs-Package: cc-mode" header,
> > then all those reports will still end up on the bug-cc-mode list, not
> > the bug-gnu-emacs list (ie, submit@debbugs will act like an alias for
> > bug-cc-mode). But they will get entered into the tracker and get bug
> > numbers. So this change would actually make it _less_ easier to lose
> > cc-mode bugs.

> The header "X-Debbugs-Package:" isn't mentioned in
> .../admin/notes/bugtracker.  Can you point me at any documentation for
> it?

> > This is what Gnus does, for example, and they have the same XEmacs
> > issues as you do. It seems to be working fine for them.

> OK.  This would involve amending `reporter-submit-bug-report'.  I'll look
> at this.

`reporter-submit-bug-report' doesn't seem amenable to easy amendation.
The function where the mail headers get inserted into the mail buffer is
the result of "(get mail-user-agent 'composefunc)".  At this stage, we're
deep inside the Emacs mail functionality.

I don't think it's worthwhile making such a large change just to get
debbugs error numbers onto CC Mode bug reports.  But if somebody else
were to make this change, I'm sure CC Mode could use it.  Patches
welcome.  ;-)

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).