Subject: bug#15784: 24.3.50; cc-mode bug reporting

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 19:31:36 -0500

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

>> It sends to [email-masked].  It might make sense to change this to
>> send to the gnu debbugs list instead, with an appropriate cc-mode tag.
>
> Right at the moment, I don't think this would be a good idea.  CC Mode is
> also upstream from XEmacs, and bug reports come from that quarter, too.
> It is convenient to be able to filter a mailbox for mails addressed to
> *cc-mode*.  Mail to bug-gnu-emacs is much easier to lose in the sheer
> volume of postings.

I think you may have misunderstood the suggestion.
If you change c-submit-bug-report to send mail to
[email-masked], with an "X-Debbugs-Package: cc-mode" header,
then all those reports will still end up on the bug-cc-mode list, not
the bug-gnu-emacs list (ie, submit@debbugs will act like an alias for
bug-cc-mode). But they will get entered into the tracker and get bug
numbers. So this change would actually make it _less_ easier to lose
cc-mode bugs.

This is what Gnus does, for example, and they have the same XEmacs
issues as you do. It seems to be working fine for them.