Subject: bug#1578: emacsclient -c make emacs very slow (under Mac OSX)

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 10:26:10 -0500

>> I notice that if I start with "emacs -nw", there is no NSApp (no icon in
>> the osx dock). When I use "emacsclient -c" to open a NS frame, the icon
>> shows up. My idea here is, if I close every NS frame, can we destroy the
>> NSApp and make it nil again (say by testing the frame count) ? If this
>> is possible, it at least make emacsclient more usable; and I don't need
>> to restart Emacs.

> This a good idea and would probably meet better with user expectations when
> the only frame is closed (get rid of the icon in  the dock), also applicable
> when started with --daemon.

> I don't have time to work on it right now, so if someone else wants to take
> a crack.. it shouldn't be that hard (though there could be  unexpected
> gotchas I guess)...

Odd: I'm not a regular Mac OS X user, but from the little bit of
exposure I've had to this system, I would have expected the exact
opposite: I'd have expected "emacs --daemon" to bring up the Emacs icon
in the dock even before the first frame is opened, and would stay there
until the daemon exits.

        Stefan