Subject: bug#15777: 24.3.50; cl symbols are no more fontlocked

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 15:22:25 -0400

> I am sorry, but moving to cl-lib is not trivial

Then we should try and reduce the effort needed.  My experience with
converting most of Emacs's own code to use cl-lib was rather
straightforward: remove the (require 'cl), byte-compile, look at the
output for complaints about unknown functions, search&replace
those names.

> and a lot of applications are still using cl.

I know, which is why `cl' is still fully supported and will remain that
way for a little while.

> What you are discouraging is maintaining external elisp libraries,
> remember that many people are using emacs just because there is external
> libraries.

We're only talking about the color given to symbols like defun*
and loop.  It doesn't seem like that should discourage
external libraries.

        Stefan

PS: the set of macros that are highlighted could/should be determined
dynamically, so that your own local macros can also be highlighted with
the `keyword' face.  I'd welcome a patch that does that, and most likely
such a patch would automatically highlight `loop' when cl.el is loaded.