Subject: 24.3.50; "WARNING: terminal is not fully functional" in Comint and Eshell

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 05:58:15 +0400

It has been a somewhat common problem with calling external processes
from Emacs. Some references:

http://david.rothlis.net/emacs/customize_general.html#shell

https://github.com/nonsequitur/inf-ruby/issues/33

https://github.com/dgutov/robe/issues/9

The common recommendation is to change the PAGER environment var, and it
works, but why isn't Emacs doing it by default (like with TERM, for
example)?

Can packages just go ahead and set it, without having to leave it to
users? Should they limit the change only to buffers they work with? I
looked at how that could be done with Comint (and a mode deriving from
it), but `make-comint' creates a new buffer, so it's not like I can
change the local value of `process-environment' before the external
process is launched.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.3 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.4)
 of 2013-10-30 on axl
Bzr revision: 114852 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11303000
System Description:	Ubuntu 13.04