Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Accented character input on OS X doesn't work right

From: Ian Eure <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:17:51 -0800

On Jan 19, 2009, at 10:33 AM, Adrian Robert wrote:

>> e.g. hitting Option+[ inserts U+201C LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK, and
>> Option+Shift+[ inserts U+201D RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK. However,  
>> in
>> Emacs, Option+Shift+[ inserts U+007B LEFT CURLY BRACKET, as if the
>> Option modifier wasn’t pressed.
>
>
> I cannot replicate this using either a Macbook Pro keyboard in US  
> layout or a PC keyboard connected via USB, same layout.  What kind  
> of keyboard are you using and what is your system input method set  
> to?  Could you make sure this still happens when you run emacs by:
>
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q
>

Okay, a few things going on here. First off, I’m using the built-in  
keyboard on a US MacBook Pro. I’m using the standard US English  
layout. The only exotic thing I’ve done is remapped Caps Lock to be  
Control (in System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard ->  
Modifier Keys).

Firstly: A bunch of settings are stored in ~/Library/Preferences/ 
org.gnu.Emacs.plist. Even if I start Emacs with -Q, these settings are  
applied. This seems wrong.

The problem happens when the following two conditions are met:

1. In Emacs -> Preferences -> Modifiers, Alt key is set to "None."
2. In custom-set-variables defines: '(ns-alternate-modifier nil t)

I removed the customized var, as the docs for it indicated that it  
wasn't customizable, and things work again.

  - Ian