Subject: Re: bug#15755: 24.3.50; cperl-mode annoyingly slow on my netbook

From: Nathan Trapuzzano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 07:58:46 -0400

Jambunathan K <[email-masked]> writes:

> 5. Move the cursor down a few lines
> 6. C-M-e.  Jump to end of defun. Move up a few lines to seek the comment
>    line.
> 7. Type a few characters
>
> (5) is slow. (7) is very slow.  Meaning it takes ages for the 10 or so
> characters to be echoed.

When I went to reproduce this, I started emacs without the -Q.  What
happened was C-M-e took me to the end of a _different_ defun, and it did
so quickly.  Step 7 wasn't slow for me either.

Indeed, I was able to reproduce this after starting emacs without
loading .emacs.  The funny thing is, the line that seems to be the
difference maker is, of all things:

(defalias 'perl-mode 'cperl-mode)

Without that line, I get the behavior you describe.  With that line, I
get fast but incorrect cperl (C-M-e takes me to the end of the wrong
defun).