Subject: bug#15737: closed (Re: bug#15737: 24.3; copy-directory ignores copy-contents when using tramp)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 19:38:03 +0000

Your bug report

#15737: 24.3; copy-directory ignores copy-contents when using tramp

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
15737: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15737
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#15737: 24.3; copy-directory ignores copy-contents when using tramp
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Kyle Mahan <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 20:37:13 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Kyle Mahan <[email-masked]> writes:

> Confirming that this patch fixes the issue for (my use-case). Wow,
> that was fast!

Thanks for confirmation. I've committed the patch to Emacs' trunk,
closing this bug report.

> Thanks,
> Kyle

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 24.3; copy-directory ignores copy-contents when using tramp
From: Kyle Mahan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 09:58:53 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,
Trying to copy the contents of a local directory to a remote one (trying
to get behavior like "scp -r src/* user@host:dest/") , I noticed that
the "copy-contents" flag is (silently?) ignored when the destination is
remote. So the directory, rather than its contents is copied to the
destination. To reproduce:

;; terminal:
;; [kmahan@lemur ~]$ mkdir /tmp/source /tmp/dest-local /tmp/dest-remote
;; [kmahan@lemur ~]$ touch /tmp/source/file

(copy-directory "/tmp/source" "/tmp/dest-local" nil nil t)
(copy-directory "/tmp/source" "/kmahan@localhost:/tmp/dest-remote" nil nil
t)

;; terminal:
;; [kmahan@lemur ~]$ ls /tmp/dest-local/
;; file
;; [kmahan@lemur ~]$ ls /tmp/dest-remote/
;; source/

Thanks :)

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
 of 2013-08-06 on -mnt-storage-buildroots-staging-x86_64-eric
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11403000
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-xft'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'
 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> <down> <down> <down> <down> C-j C-y <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> C-k C-k ; ; SPC <left> <down> <left>
<left> ; ; SPC <left> <down> <left> <left> ; ; SPC
<left> <down> <left> <left> ; ; SPC <C-left> <C-left>
<C-left> <C-left> <C-right> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <C-down> C-SPC <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> M-w
C-g M-x r e p r o t <C-backspace> M-x r e p o r t <tab>
<return>

Recent messages:

Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
Tramp: Process has finished.
Tramp: Opening connection for kmahan@localhost using scpc...done
nil
byte-code: End of buffer [2 times]

Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
Tramp: Process has finished.
Quit
completing-read-default: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in
minibuffer

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils tramp-cache
tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
tramp-loaddefs shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring format-spec advice
help-fns cl-lib advice-preload time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)