Subject: bug#15735: 24.3.50; `find-library' completion bug

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 08:06:01 -0700 (PDT)

> > It doesn't seem right to me, but I'm probably naive.
> 
> You can do (load "ess-5.3.10/somefile"), and for that reaon you can
> do
> You can do M-x load-library RET ess-5.3.10/somefile RET, and for
> that
> reason, you can do M-x load-library RET ess- TAB somefi TAB RET
> 
> This is not used with many packages, but it is used for (load
> "term/xterm.el") since "term/" is not in load-path, and it is used
> extensively for CEDET where the subdirectories are used for
> "namespace", so they can load "semantic/debug" without colliding
> with Emacs's debug.el.

OK.

Perhaps what is the most confusing to me is that instead of Emacs
telling you that there are no completions of what you've typed,
it tells you that this (the dir) is a successful completion, and
yet if you hit RET it tells you no library.

It would make more sense to me if RET at this point did what I
expected a second TAB to do: tell you there are no completions
(beyond the directory name), but not exit the minibuffer.

More generally, perhaps RET for `find-library' should not exit
the minibuffer for unsuccesful library-finding.

I'm OK with your closing the bug, but I wonder whether a less
surprising behavior might not be possible.