Subject: Re: bug#15730: 24.3.50; (emacs) `Query Replace' mentions multi-buffer q-r, but no explanation

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 21:59:50 -0800

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> The descriptions of `Y' and `N' can give the impression that ordinary
> `query-replace' (`M-%', `C-M-%') works across multiple buffers.  If it
> does then please add an explanation of how to use `M-%' and `C-M-%'
> to do that.
>
> I suspect that the text is just not clear that `Y' and `N', and what
> is said for them about multiple buffers, is ONLY for other commands,
> which happen to be multi-buffer, and is does not apply to `M-%' and
> `C-M-%'.
>
> For one thing, whatever commands are pertinent should be mentioned here.
> The text says "(like the Dired `Q' command...)".  It should not say
> "like", but "such as".  And is that the only such command, or is it
> just one example of such a command (in which case, list the others,
> or at least provide a link to where they are discussed).

It says:

@item Y @r{(Upper-case)}
to replace all remaining occurrences in all remaining buffers in
multi-buffer replacements (like the Dired `Q' command which performs
query replace on selected files).  It answers this question and all
subsequent questions in the series with "yes", without further
user interaction.

---

I fail to see how that could be misinterpreted.

> Move the link pointing to `Operating on Files' to the paragraph where
> `Q' is mentioned.  Or add a link there and keep also the one at the page
> bottom.

  @xref{Operating on Files}, for the Dired @kbd{Q} command which
performs query replace on selected files.  See also @ref{Transforming
File Names}, for Dired commands to rename, copy, or link files by
replacing regexp matches in file names.

Seems to be fixed.  Closing.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/