Subject: bug#15725: 24.3; Using C-x C-c to close Emacs running in windowed mode on Windows can leave window blank and unresponsive

From: William Kunkel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 16:18:12 -0400

Sometimes, when closing an instance of Emacs that is running in windowed
mode using C-x C-c, Emacs will not properly exit. Instead, the contents
of the window will disappear, including the minibuffer, status bar, and
shortcut icons at the top. The background color will remain, but no
keyboard shortcuts will have any effect, and the application menu,
i.e. "File, Edit, Options" etc. will become unresponsive. Each menu item
will still be highlighted when the mouse hovers over it, but clicking
the menu item produces no effect. In this state, the window cannot be
closed either through C-x C-c or by clicking the red "x" button in the
top right-hand corner, and must be closed via Task Manager or taskkill.

Please note that because this happens only when closing Emacs, the
recent actions section of this bug report will describe this session,
not one in which this bug occurred.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.2.9200)
 of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.2.9200
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - b u g - e m a c s <return> <backspace>
<delete> <delete> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/custom.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
delete-forward-char: End of buffer [2 times]
call-interactively: End of buffer [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-w3m hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-w3m
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-version
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-version
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-timer hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-timer
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-table hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-table
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-src hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-src
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-rmail hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-rmail
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-protocol
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-protocol
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-plot hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-plot
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-pcomplete
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-mouse hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-mouse
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-mobile
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-mobile
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-mhe hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-mhe
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-macs hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-macs
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-loaddefs
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-list hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-list
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-irc hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-irc
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-install
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-install
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-inlinetask
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-info hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-info
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-indent
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-indent
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-id hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-id
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-habit hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-habit
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-gnus hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-gnus
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-footnote
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-footnote
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-feed hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-feed
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-faces hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-faces
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-eshell
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-eshell
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-entities
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-entities
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-element
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-element
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-docview
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-docview
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-datetree
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-datetree
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-ctags hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-ctags
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-crypt hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-crypt
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-compat
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-compat
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-colview
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-colview
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-clock hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-clock
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-capture
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-capture
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-bibtex
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-bibtex
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-bbdb hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-bbdb
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-attach
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-attach
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-archive
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-archive
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/org-agenda
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/org-agenda
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-tangle hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-tangle
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-table hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-table
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-sqlite hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-sql hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-sql
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-shen hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-shen
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-sh hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-sh
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-screen hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-screen
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-scheme hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-scheme
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-scala hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-scala
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-sass hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-sass
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-ruby hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-ruby
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-ref hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-ref
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-R hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-R
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-python hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-python
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-plantuml
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-picolisp
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-perl hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-perl
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-org hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-org
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-octave hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-octave
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-ocaml hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-mscgen hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-maxima hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-maxima
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-matlab hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-matlab
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-lob hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-lob
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-lisp hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-lisp
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-lilypond
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-ledger hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-ledger
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-latex hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-latex
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-keys hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-keys
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-js hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-js
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-java hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-java
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-io hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-io
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-haskell
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-haskell
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-gnuplot
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-fortran
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-fortran
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-exp hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-exp
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-eval hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-eval
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-emacs-lisp
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-dot hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-dot
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-ditaa hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-css hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-css
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-comint hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-comint
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-clojure
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-clojure
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-calc hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-calc
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-C hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-C
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-awk hides
c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-awk
c:/Users/William/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130923/ob-asymptote
hides c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org/ob-asymptote

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils org-mouse org byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile cconv
advice help-fns advice-preload org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp
ob-comint comint ansi-color ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-autoloads info package cl-macs gv magit-bisect magit-key-mode magit
diff-mode log-edit easymenu easy-mmode ring pcvs-util add-log cl cl-lib
tango-dark-theme delsel edmacro kmacro time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns
disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process w32 multi-tty emacs)