Subject: Re: bug#15703: [PATCH 1/8] EWW: Support user defined representation for checkbox.

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 11:23:57 -0500

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 20:50:56 -0500 Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote: 

>>>> Ah, OK, I see.  But it seems like kind of the same ideas, so maybe a
>>>> generic facility would be useful... not a font-lock interaction, but for
>>>> keeping the record of "this string maps to this Unicode symbol"?
>>>> Basically a big hashtable with some user control.  Then
>>>> `prettify-symbols-mode' could use that facility too.
SM> I think it'd be easier to go the other way around: provide an
SM> replacement to use if/when the display font doesn't provide a glyph for
SM> that characters.
>> That doesn't help with drawing trees in Unicode, for example.

SM> I think this case is quite different: none of the proposals so far can
SM> handle it.  And I don't think it can be handled purely locally
SM> (i.e. without knowing that those chars are put together to represent
SM> a tree).

OK.  My proposal is to do something about that need at the Emacs core
level so packages don't have to invent their own glyph mapping
facilities.  Should I take it to emacs-devel or do you want to keep the
discussion here?  And do you agree there's a need?

Ted