Subject: Re: bug#15698: Show commit revision

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 23:26:26 +0100

Paul Pogonyshev <[email-masked]> writes:

> Minor feature request. When committing from VC directory buffer, it
> would be useful to see the exact revision number, because I usually
> need it for reporting.  Currently my workflow is to commit =>
> immediately open log buffer to see revision number.
>
> I'd suggest amending message "Checking in /home/user/dir...done" message as
> something like "Checking in /home/user/dir...done as revision 1234".

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately got no response at
the time.)

I'm not sure this would be generally useful -- particularly with VCs
like git, where the revision string is really long, which means that you
can't just type it from memory. 

> Alternatively, just have VC directory buffer always show the last
> revision (but this can be problematic/confusing for SVN at least,
> e.g. my last commit was 7892, yet 'svn info' shows 7871).

This could perhaps be useful, though?  That is, having a line in the
-dir-extra-headers section saying what the current revision is?  I've
added Dmitry to the CCs; perhaps he's got an opinion here.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no