Subject: bug#15688: Changes that should go into version 24.4

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 19:57:54 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

    My guess is that they only show up on Yeeloong, or maybe mips.
    Could even be a compiler bug, for all I know.

Since I can't get any more data by debugging when it crashes, what
good do you think will be done by leaving out the workaround I
installed?  If you don't want it in the trunk and the release, I won't
override you, but I will install it in my own copy.  I'm tired of
the hassle and I see nothing to be gained by suffering it more.

    > In http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15688#107, Stefan
    > described some insight on the problem, and Richard suggested that
    > someone writes debugging code to detect the situation that apparently
    > is a precursor to the crash.  No one wrote such a code, AFAIK; perhaps
    > we should.  (I don't understand what Stefan said enough to do this,
    > but maybe someone else does.)

    I'm not sure what kind of code could catch this, nor when to run it.

Here's one idea: store that vector somewhere where GC can see it, and
arrange to abort on freeing that vector.  By debugging at that point
we might learn some more.

That seems easy enough that I will try it one of these days.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110
USA
www.fsf.org  www.gnu.org
Skype: No way! That's nonfree (freedom-denying) software.
  Use Ekiga or an ordinary phone call.