Subject: 24.3.50; removal of "special-display" from Emacs and Elisp manuals

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 15:04:47 -0700 (PDT)

Please put back the doc about special-display buffers.  This is a useful
concept, and the special-display variables and functions are easy to use.

This should not have been jettisoned in your excitement to revamp
`display-buffer' and implement `display-buffer-alist'.  It is much
easier and more understandable for someone to use
`special-display-regexps' or `special-display-buffer-names' than it is
to use `display-buffer-alist' to try to accomplish the same thing.

Having `display-buffer-alist', to be able to deal with every fantastic
combination imaginable, does not preclude also having the easy-to-use
special-display features.  You've added to the possible, unintelligible,
and corner cases, but you have thrown out the baby with the bathwater:
The common, simple cases are now as complex as any others.  Nothing is
gained by throwing special-display away.  KISS.  Think of Emacs users.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2013-10-09 on LEG570
Bzr revision: 114596 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --enable-checking 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'