Subject: 24.3; Suggestions for more helpful log-edit-mode

From: Ulrik Haugen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 11:05:28 +0200

I set log-edit-setup-invert to t in my .emacs which populates log-edit
buffers with some headers.

I'd like it if log-edit-mode borrowed the parts of message mode which
make C-a send point to the beginning of the header value rather than the
beginning of line unless point is already at that position.

It would also be helpful if point started in that position in the
summary header so one could just start typing instead of beginning
writing the log message with typing C-e.

Best regards
/Ulrik Haugen

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.4)
 of 2013-10-01 on biber, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11204000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: sv_SE.utf8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: sv_SE.utf8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: sv_SE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: sv_SE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: sv_SE.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Log-Edit/git

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
d SPC f i x m e s SPC t o SPC . e m a c s . C-c C-c 
M-x r e p o r t - e m a <tab> b <backspace> <return> 
S u g g e s t i o n s SPC f o r SPC m o r e SPC h e 
l p f u l SPC l o g - e d i t - m o d e <return> C-c 
C-f C-h C-x o C-s g c c C-a C-x o M-< C-n C-n C-e M-j 
G c c : SPC <tab> <tab> u n <tab> C-a C-k C-k C-_ C-a 
C-k C-k C-c C-f C-c C-p C-p C-f C-f C-k C-y C-n C-n 
C-y <M-backspace> <M-backspace> <M-backspace> <M-backspace> 
q h a @ l y s a t o r . l i u . s e > C-a C-a B M-l 
C-x o C-x o C-x 1 C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-n C-n C-p C-f C-p C-k C-k C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-' C-_ C-_ <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> M-w 
C-x b a p a <return> SPC C-y C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-c 
C-k C-x k <return> M-< C-x C-x C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n M-< M-f M-f 
M-f C-f C-f C-n C-n C-b C-k C-y C-p C-p M-b M-b M-b 
M-b C-y C-k C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p C-n C-p C-k 
C-_ C-n C-p C-k C-k C-k C-d C-c C-k SPC C-x v v SPC 
C-x C-s C-x v v M-b SPC C-x C-s C-x v v M-x M-p <r
eturn>

Recent messages:
Message modified; kill anyway? (y or n)  y
Fileset is up-to-date
Saving file /home/qha/init/dotfiles/emacs...
Wrote /home/qha/init/dotfiles/emacs
Fileset is up-to-date
Saving file /home/qha/init/dotfiles/emacs...
Wrote /home/qha/init/dotfiles/emacs
Mark set
Press C-c C-c when you are done editing.
Enter a change comment.  Type C-c C-c when done

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/easypg/epg hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/epg
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/easypg/epg-config hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/epg-config
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/easypg/epa-file hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/epa-file
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/easypg/epa-mail hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/epa-mail
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/easypg/epa hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/epa
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/easypg/epa-dired hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/epa-dired
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/remember-el/remember hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/remember
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-ledger hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-agenda hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-agenda
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-sql hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-sql
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-feed hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-feed
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-lob hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-lob
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-capture hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-capture
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-bbdb hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-w3m hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-w3m
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-dot hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-dot
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-plot hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-plot
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-attach hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-attach
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-clojure hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-inlinetask hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-element hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-element
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-table hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-table
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-scheme hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-bibtex hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-mouse hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-mouse
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-scala hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-scala
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-java hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-java
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-src hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-src
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-gnuplot hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-js hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-js
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-fortran hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-latex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-R hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-R
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-matlab hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-compat hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-compat
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-perl hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-perl
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-indent hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-indent
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-ocaml hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-habit hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-habit
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-sqlite hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-octave hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-octave
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-loaddefs hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-plantuml hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-ctags hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-ctags
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-comint hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-comint
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-gnus hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-gnus
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-shen hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-shen
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-info hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-info
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-haskell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-archive hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-archive
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-css hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-css
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-protocol hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-protocol
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-picolisp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-screen hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-screen
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-mhe hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-mhe
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-keys hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-keys
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-pcomplete hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-eval hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-eval
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-list hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-list
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-org hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-org
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-colview hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-colview
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-mobile hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-mobile
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-C hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-C
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-faces hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-faces
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-timer hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-timer
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-version hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-version
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-eshell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-eshell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-table hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-table
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-mscgen hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-ruby hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-python hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-python
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-asymptote hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-awk hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-awk
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-emacs-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-sh hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-sh
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-io hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-io
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-id hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-id
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-sass hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-sass
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-datetree hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-datetree
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-install hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-install
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-clock hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-clock
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-calc hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-calc
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-crypt hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-crypt
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-irc hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-irc
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-footnote hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-footnote
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-tangle hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-exp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-exp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-docview hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-docview
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-ditaa hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-rmail hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-rmail
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-maxima hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-ref hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-ref
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-entities hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-entities
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/org-macs hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-macs
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-lilypond hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/gnus-bonus-el/nnnil hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/gnus/nnnil
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/gnus-bonus-el/nnir hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/gnus/nnir
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/gnus-bonus-el/spam-stat hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/gnus/spam-stat

Features:
(misearch multi-isearch help-mode shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr
warnings emacsbug message idna format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
flyspell ispell log-edit easymenu ring pcvs-util add-log vc
vc-dispatcher vc-git time paren cl-macs gv edmacro kmacro hl-line
iswitchb ws-trim cl uniquify advice help-fns cl-lib advice-preload
remember-autoloads debian-el debian-el-loaddefs org-install
emacs-goodies-el emacs-goodies-custom emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode
epa-setup epa-file epa derived epg epg-config epg-package-info
dpkg-dev-el dpkg-dev-el-loaddefs bbdb-autoloads time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)