Subject: bug#1562 closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#1562: 23.0.60; modify-frame-parameters in Emacs 23 for fonts)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 02:20:04 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs,w32 package:

#1562: 23.0.60; modify-frame-parameters in Emacs 23 for fonts

It has been closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1562: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1562
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#1562: 23.0.60; modify-frame-parameters in Emacs 23 for fonts
From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 10:10:49 +0800

Drew Adams wrote:
> After loading, (frame-parameter nil 'font) gives
> "-outline-Lucida Console-normal-normal-normal-mono-14-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1"
>
> Then do `C-u 5 M-x enlarge-font'. (frame-parameter nil 'font) gives
> "-outline-Lucida Console-normal-normal-normal-mono-19-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1"
> which is correct.
>
> Then do `C-u -5 M-x enlarge-font'. (frame-parameter nil 'font) gives
> "-outline-Lucida Console-normal-normal-normal-mono-14-*-*-*-c-*-fontset-auto1"
> which is NOT correct.
>   

I have fixed this now, x_new_font in w32term.c had not been updated in 
line with xterm.c.

>From [email-masked] Sat Dec 13 11:02:49 2008
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: 23.0.60; modify-frame-parameters in Emacs 23 for fonts
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 11:02:30 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C95D12.4B3A5B80
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

See bug #119. Both I and Jason have sent followups to this bug, but
they do not appear in the Outstanding bugs list, AFAICT.

This bug is Outstanding. It was mistakenly put in the "Resolved" (closed?) list.
The bug still exists.
 
In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-11-24 on LENNART-69DE564
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/g/include
-fno-crossjumping'

Below is the last mail I sent about this bug. Attached are other mails that seem
to be missing from the bug tracker.

-----Original Message-----
From: Drew Adams Sent: Friday, November 28, 2008 2:36 PM
To: 'Stephen Berman' Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: bug#119: modify-frame-parameters in Emacs 23 for fonts

> > This bug seems still not to be fixed, and I cannot even 
> > find it listed in the bugs database:
> > http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=emacs.
> >
> > What is that status of this bug? Is there some other bugs 
> > page where this appears?
> 
> On the above page you can find it by clicking on either of 
> the links in "See the _archived reports_  or _archived and
> unarchived reports_", i.e.,
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?orderi
> ng=normal;archive=1;package=emacs;repeatmerged=1
> or
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?orderi
ng=normal;archive=both;package=emacs;repeatmerged=1
> 
> Also, you can find it from http://debbugs.gnu.org/ 
> by typing "119" in the textbox below "Find a bug by number:" and
> clicking the "Find" button.

1. Ah, thank you.

I'd propose that a search field be added also to this page:
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=emacs,
and that search there be limited to bugs that are in the Emacs package.

That page seems to be the main entry point for Emacs bugs. It makes sense to
have a search field there, IMO.

2. I and Jason have sent followups to this bug that do not appear in the
bug-report page (the archived bugs page cited above). What happened to them? I
have attached them to this mail.

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C95D12.4B3A5B80
Content-Type: message/rfc822
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: attachment

Reply-To: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>,
	<[email-masked]>
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Sender: <bug-gnu-emacs-bounces+drew.adams=[email-masked]>
To: "'Jason Rumney'" <[email-masked]>,
	<[email-masked]>
Cc: "Emacs-Devel" <[email-masked]>
Subject: bug#119: modify-frame-parameters in Emacs 23 for fonts
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 06:56:48 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C95D12.4B332F90
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

> > FYI - This bug appears to be fixed in the Emacs 23 pretest 
> > (22.2.91). 
> 
> It is not an Emacs 23 pretest. It is an Emacs 22.3 pretest, 
> which is why bugs that have only ever been apparent in the 
> trunk are not present in this pretest. 

Oh, darn. I guess that means that these problems still are in Emacs 23. And this

also explains the "return" to the Emacs 22 icon that I noticed. 

Please then disregard all my mails from yesterday about Emacs 23 bugs that I 
thought had been fixed. Sorry for the confusion. 

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C95D12.4B332F90
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii">

<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version =
6.5.7036.0">
<TITLE>bug#119: modify-frame-parameters in Emacs 23 for fonts</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; FYI - This bug appears to be fixed in the =
Emacs 23 pretest </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; (22.2.91).</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; It is not an Emacs 23 pretest. It is an Emacs =
22.3 pretest, </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; which is why bugs that have only ever been =
apparent in the</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; trunk are not present in this pretest.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Oh, darn. I guess that means that these problems still =
are in Emacs 23. And this</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>also explains the &quot;return&quot; to the Emacs 22 =
icon that I noticed.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Please then disregard all my mails from yesterday =
about Emacs 23 bugs that I</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>thought had been fixed. Sorry for the =
confusion.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C95D12.4B332F90--

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C95D12.4B3A5B80
Content-Type: message/rfc822
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: attachment

From: "Jason Rumney" <[email-masked]>
To: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>,
	<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: bug#119: modify-frame-parameters in Emacs 23 for fonts
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:41:19 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C95D12.4B381190
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Drew Adams wrote: 
> FYI - This bug appears to be fixed in the Emacs 23 pretest (22.2.91). 
>   

It is not an Emacs 23 pretest. It is an Emacs 22.3 pretest, which is why 
bugs that have only ever been apparent in the trunk are not present in 
this pretest. 

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C95D12.4B381190
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">

<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version =
6.5.7036.0">
<TITLE>Re: bug#119: modify-frame-parameters in Emacs 23 for =
fonts</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Drew Adams wrote:</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; FYI - This bug appears to be fixed in the Emacs =
23 pretest (22.2.91).</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>It is not an Emacs 23 pretest. It is an Emacs 22.3 =
pretest, which is why </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>bugs that have only ever been apparent in the trunk =
are not present in </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>this pretest.</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C95D12.4B381190--

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C95D12.4B3A5B80
Content-Type: message/rfc822
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: attachment

Reply-To: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>,
	<[email-masked]>
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Sender: <bug-gnu-emacs-bounces+drew.adams=[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: bug#119: modify-frame-parameters in Emacs 23 for fonts
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:01:31 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C95D12.4B381190
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

FYI - This bug appears to be fixed in the Emacs 23 pretest (22.2.91). 

Thanks very much. 

> From: Drew Adams Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 10:38 AM 
> 
> This bug is marked fixed, but it has not been fixed. 
> Jason marked it as fixed on 2008-05-08, with this note: 
> 
>   I've marked this as fixed, since the bug reported will 
>   be fixed when font-backend is merged. 
>   I will not close it at this time though, as valid points 
>   about documentation were raised. 
> 
> Then, on 2008-06-12, I received a mail saying that it was 
> closed. In any case, it is *not* fixed - I see the same 
> thing in this recent build: 
> 
> GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) 
>  of 2008-08-01 on LENNART-69DE564 
> Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600 
> configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags 
>  -Ic:/g/include -fno-crossjumping' 
> 
> There are two things that might be the problem: 
> 
> (1) `modify-frame-parameters' changes the `font' parameter behind your 
> back from the value you provide `modify-frame-parameters': 
> 
> (modify-frame-parameters frame 
>   (list (cons 'font "-outline-Lucida Console-normal-normal-\ 
> normal-mono-15-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1"))) 
> 
> The `font' frame parameter is then: 
> 
> "-outline-Lucida Console-normal-normal-normal-mono-15-\ 
> *-*-*-c-*-fontset-auto8" 
> 
> IOW, iso8859-1 gets replaced by fontset-auto8. 
> 
> (2) `x-list-fonts' returns nil when passed such a font (i.e. with 
> fontset-auto8). 
> 
> This breaks my code. Though the frame and the font appear normal, 
> `x-list-fonts' does not recognize such a font. My code changes the 
> font name to use a different size (e.g. changes 15 to 14), but it 
> checks that `x-list-fonts' recognizes the font name before trying to 
> use it. And `x-list-fonts' does not recognize the name (with 
> "fontset-auto8") that `modify-frame-parameters' establishes behind the 
> scene. 
> 
> The font that I provide to `modify-frame-parameters' is recognized by 
> `x-list-fonts', and it has the same appearance, but it never appears 
> as the frame parameter in this context because 
> `modify-frame-parameters' substitutes a different name. 
> 
> 
> Below is the pertinent part of the original bug report. The symptom is 
> the same, but the font that `modify-frame-parameters' substitutes is 
> slightly different. 
> 
> Back in April, it substituted: 
> "-outline-lucida console-normal-roman-normal-mono-15-\ 
> *-*-*-*-*-fontset-startup" 
> 
> Now it substitutes: 
> "-outline-Lucida Console-normal-normal-normal-mono-15-\ 
> *-*-*-c-*-fontset-auto8" 
> 
> Neither is recognized by `x-list-fonts'. 
> 
> --------8<---------2008-04-05 report ------------------- 
> 
> (frame-parameter nil 'font) -> 
> "-*-Lucida Console-normal-r-*-*-14-*-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1" 
> 
> (modify-frame-parameters 
>  nil 
>  (list 
>   (cons 
>    'font 
>    "-*-Lucida Console-normal-r-*-*-15-*-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1"))) 
> 
> (frame-parameter nil 'font) -> 
> "-outline-lucida 
> console-normal-roman-normal-mono-15-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-startup" 
> 
> What's that about? In Emacs 20, 21, and 22, the result is 
> just the font I 
> specified. 
> 
> I have code that zooms frames (font size). I change just the 
> point size in the 
> font spec, using `x-decompose-font-name' and 
> `x-compose-font-name'. I check that 
> the result is a legitimate font using `x-list-fonts'. If not, 
> I increase or 
> decrease the increment until I find the font that works with 
> the closest size. 
> 
> [Yes, I know there are other ways to adjust font size, but 
> I've found that this 
> method is flexible for users and provides certain benefits.] 
> 
> My code no longer works without change, because after one call to 
> `modify-frame-parameters' the font is no longer something 
> recognized by 
> `x-list-fonts'. I can comment out the part that iterates 
> until it finds a size 
> that works (recognized by `x-list-fonts'). That works, but 
> I'm still curious 
> about this. (Is there perhaps a bug in `x-list-fonts' or in 
> `modify-frame-parameters'?) 

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C95D12.4B381190
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii">

<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version =
6.5.7036.0">
<TITLE>bug#119: modify-frame-parameters in Emacs 23 for fonts</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>FYI - This bug appears to be fixed in the Emacs 23 =
pretest (22.2.91).</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks very much.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; From: Drew Adams Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 =
10:38 AM</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; This bug is marked fixed, but it has not been =
fixed.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Jason marked it as fixed on 2008-05-08, with =
this note:</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; I've marked this as fixed, since the =
bug reported will</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; be fixed when font-backend is =
merged.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; I will not close it at this time =
though, as valid points</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; about documentation were =
raised.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Then, on 2008-06-12, I received a mail saying =
that it was</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; closed. In any case, it is *not* fixed - I see =
the same</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; thing in this recent build:</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 =
(i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp; of 2008-08-01 on LENNART-69DE564</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', =
version 5.1.2600</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) =
--no-opt --cflags</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp; -Ic:/g/include -fno-crossjumping'</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; There are two things that might be the =
problem:</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; (1) `modify-frame-parameters' changes the `font' =
parameter behind your</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; back from the value you provide =
`modify-frame-parameters':</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; (modify-frame-parameters frame</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; (list (cons 'font =
&quot;-outline-Lucida Console-normal-normal-\</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; =
normal-mono-15-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1&quot;)))</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; The `font' frame parameter is then:</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &quot;-outline-Lucida =
Console-normal-normal-normal-mono-15-\</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; *-*-*-c-*-fontset-auto8&quot;</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; IOW, iso8859-1 gets replaced by =
fontset-auto8.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; (2) `x-list-fonts' returns nil when passed such =
a font (i.e. with</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; fontset-auto8).</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; This breaks my code. Though the frame and the =
font appear normal,</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; `x-list-fonts' does not recognize such a font. =
My code changes the</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; font name to use a different size (e.g. changes =
15 to 14), but it</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; checks that `x-list-fonts' recognizes the font =
name before trying to</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; use it. And `x-list-fonts' does not recognize =
the name (with</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &quot;fontset-auto8&quot;) that =
`modify-frame-parameters' establishes behind the</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; scene.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; The font that I provide to =
`modify-frame-parameters' is recognized by</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; `x-list-fonts', and it has the same appearance, =
but it never appears</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; as the frame parameter in this context =
because</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; `modify-frame-parameters' substitutes a =
different name.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Below is the pertinent part of the original bug =
report. The symptom is</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; the same, but the font that =
`modify-frame-parameters' substitutes is</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; slightly different.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Back in April, it substituted: </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &quot;-outline-lucida =
console-normal-roman-normal-mono-15-\</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; *-*-*-*-*-fontset-startup&quot;</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Now it substitutes:</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &quot;-outline-Lucida =
Console-normal-normal-normal-mono-15-\</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; *-*-*-c-*-fontset-auto8&quot;</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Neither is recognized by `x-list-fonts'.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; --------8&lt;---------2008-04-05 report =
-------------------</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; (frame-parameter nil 'font) -&gt;</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &quot;-*-Lucida =
Console-normal-r-*-*-14-*-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1&quot;</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; (modify-frame-parameters</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp; nil</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp; (list</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; (cons </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 'font</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &quot;-*-Lucida =
Console-normal-r-*-*-15-*-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1&quot;)))</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; (frame-parameter nil 'font) -&gt;</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &quot;-outline-lucida </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; =
console-normal-roman-normal-mono-15-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-startup&quot;</FONT=

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; What's that about? In Emacs 20, 21, and 22, the =
result is </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; just the font I</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; specified.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I have code that zooms frames (font size). I =
change just the </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; point size in the</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; font spec, using `x-decompose-font-name' and =
</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; `x-compose-font-name'. I check that</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; the result is a legitimate font using =
`x-list-fonts'. If not, </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I increase or</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; decrease the increment until I find the font =
that works with </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; the closest size.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; [Yes, I know there are other ways to adjust font =
size, but </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I've found that this</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; method is flexible for users and provides =
certain benefits.]</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; My code no longer works without change, because =
after one call to</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; `modify-frame-parameters' the font is no longer =
something </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; recognized by</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; `x-list-fonts'. I can comment out the part that =
iterates </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; until it finds a size</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; that works (recognized by `x-list-fonts'). That =
works, but </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I'm still curious</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; about this. (Is there perhaps a bug in =
`x-list-fonts' or in</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; `modify-frame-parameters'?)</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C95D12.4B381190--

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C95D12.4B3A5B80
Content-Type: message/rfc822
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: attachment

Reply-To: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>,
	<[email-masked]>
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Sender: <bug-gnu-emacs-bounces+drew.adams=[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: bug#119: modify-frame-parameters in Emacs 23 for fonts
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 09:38:04 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C95D12.4B3A5B80
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

This bug is marked fixed, but it has not been fixed. 
Jason marked it as fixed on 2008-05-08, with this note: 

  I've marked this as fixed, since the bug reported will 
  be fixed when font-backend is merged. 
  I will not close it at this time though, as valid points 
  about documentation were raised. 

Then, on 2008-06-12, I received a mail saying that it was 
closed. In any case, it is *not* fixed - I see the same 
thing in this recent build: 

GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) 
 of 2008-08-01 on LENNART-69DE564 
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600 
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags 
 -Ic:/g/include -fno-crossjumping' 

There are two things that might be the problem: 

(1) `modify-frame-parameters' changes the `font' parameter behind your 
back from the value you provide `modify-frame-parameters': 

(modify-frame-parameters frame 
  (list (cons 'font "-outline-Lucida Console-normal-normal-\ 
normal-mono-15-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1"))) 

The `font' frame parameter is then: 

"-outline-Lucida Console-normal-normal-normal-mono-15-\ 
*-*-*-c-*-fontset-auto8" 

IOW, iso8859-1 gets replaced by fontset-auto8. 

(2) `x-list-fonts' returns nil when passed such a font (i.e. with 
fontset-auto8). 

This breaks my code. Though the frame and the font appear normal, 
`x-list-fonts' does not recognize such a font. My code changes the 
font name to use a different size (e.g. changes 15 to 14), but it 
checks that `x-list-fonts' recognizes the font name before trying to 
use it. And `x-list-fonts' does not recognize the name (with 
"fontset-auto8") that `modify-frame-parameters' establishes behind the 
scene. 

The font that I provide to `modify-frame-parameters' is recognized by 
`x-list-fonts', and it has the same appearance, but it never appears 
as the frame parameter in this context because 
`modify-frame-parameters' substitutes a different name. 

Below is the pertinent part of the original bug report. The symptom is 
the same, but the font that `modify-frame-parameters' substitutes is 
slightly different. 

Back in April, it substituted: 
"-outline-lucida console-normal-roman-normal-mono-15-\ 
*-*-*-*-*-fontset-startup" 

Now it substitutes: 
"-outline-Lucida Console-normal-normal-normal-mono-15-\ 
*-*-*-c-*-fontset-auto8" 

Neither is recognized by `x-list-fonts'. 

--------8<---------2008-04-05 report ------------------- 

(frame-parameter nil 'font) -> 
"-*-Lucida Console-normal-r-*-*-14-*-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1" 

(modify-frame-parameters 
 nil 
 (list 
  (cons 
   'font 
   "-*-Lucida Console-normal-r-*-*-15-*-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1"))) 

(frame-parameter nil 'font) -> 
"-outline-lucida console-normal-roman-normal-mono-15-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-startup" 

What's that about? In Emacs 20, 21, and 22, the result is just the font I 
specified. 

I have code that zooms frames (font size). I change just the point size in the 
font spec, using `x-decompose-font-name' and `x-compose-font-name'. I check that

the result is a legitimate font using `x-list-fonts'. If not, I increase or 
decrease the increment until I find the font that works with the closest size. 

[Yes, I know there are other ways to adjust font size, but I've found that this 
method is flexible for users and provides certain benefits.] 

My code no longer works without change, because after one call to 
`modify-frame-parameters' the font is no longer something recognized by 
`x-list-fonts'. I can comment out the part that iterates until it finds a size 
that works (recognized by `x-list-fonts'). That works, but I'm still curious 
about this. (Is there perhaps a bug in `x-list-fonts' or in 
`modify-frame-parameters'?) 

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C95D12.4B3A5B80
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii">

<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version =
6.5.7036.0">
<TITLE>bug#119: modify-frame-parameters in Emacs 23 for fonts</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>This bug is marked fixed, but it has not been =
fixed.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Jason marked it as fixed on 2008-05-08, with this =
note:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; I've marked this as fixed, since the bug =
reported will</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; be fixed when font-backend is merged.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; I will not close it at this time though, as =
valid points</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; about documentation were raised.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Then, on 2008-06-12, I received a mail saying that it =
was</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>closed. In any case, it is *not* fixed - I see the =
same</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>thing in this recent build:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;of 2008-08-01 on LENNART-69DE564</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', =
version 5.1.2600</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt =
--cflags</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;-Ic:/g/include -fno-crossjumping'</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>There are two things that might be the problem:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>(1) `modify-frame-parameters' changes the `font' =
parameter behind your</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>back from the value you provide =
`modify-frame-parameters':</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>(modify-frame-parameters frame</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; (list (cons 'font &quot;-outline-Lucida =
Console-normal-normal-\</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>normal-mono-15-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1&quot;)))</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The `font' frame parameter is then:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&quot;-outline-Lucida =
Console-normal-normal-normal-mono-15-\</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>*-*-*-c-*-fontset-auto8&quot;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>IOW, iso8859-1 gets replaced by fontset-auto8.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>(2) `x-list-fonts' returns nil when passed such a font =
(i.e. with</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>fontset-auto8).</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>This breaks my code. Though the frame and the font =
appear normal,</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>`x-list-fonts' does not recognize such a font. My =
code changes the</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>font name to use a different size (e.g. changes 15 to =
14), but it</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>checks that `x-list-fonts' recognizes the font name =
before trying to</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>use it. And `x-list-fonts' does not recognize the =
name (with</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&quot;fontset-auto8&quot;) that =
`modify-frame-parameters' establishes behind the</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>scene.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The font that I provide to `modify-frame-parameters' =
is recognized by</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>`x-list-fonts', and it has the same appearance, but =
it never appears</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>as the frame parameter in this context because</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>`modify-frame-parameters' substitutes a different =
name.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Below is the pertinent part of the original bug =
report. The symptom is</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the same, but the font that `modify-frame-parameters' =
substitutes is</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>slightly different.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Back in April, it substituted: </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&quot;-outline-lucida =
console-normal-roman-normal-mono-15-\</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>*-*-*-*-*-fontset-startup&quot;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Now it substitutes:</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&quot;-outline-Lucida =
Console-normal-normal-normal-mono-15-\</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>*-*-*-c-*-fontset-auto8&quot;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Neither is recognized by `x-list-fonts'.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>--------8&lt;---------2008-04-05 report =
-------------------</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>(frame-parameter nil 'font) -&gt;</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&quot;-*-Lucida =
Console-normal-r-*-*-14-*-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1&quot;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>(modify-frame-parameters</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;nil</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;(list</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; (cons </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; 'font</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; &quot;-*-Lucida =
Console-normal-r-*-*-15-*-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1&quot;)))</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>(frame-parameter nil 'font) -&gt;</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&quot;-outline-lucida =
console-normal-roman-normal-mono-15-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-startup&quot;</FONT=
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>What's that about? In Emacs 20, 21, and 22, the result =
is just the font I</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>specified.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have code that zooms frames (font size). I change =
just the point size in the</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>font spec, using `x-decompose-font-name' and =
`x-compose-font-name'. I check that</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the result is a legitimate font using `x-list-fonts'. =
If not, I increase or</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>decrease the increment until I find the font that =
works with the closest size.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>[Yes, I know there are other ways to adjust font size, =
but I've found that this</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>method is flexible for users and provides certain =
benefits.]</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My code no longer works without change, because after =
one call to</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>`modify-frame-parameters' the font is no longer =
something recognized by</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>`x-list-fonts'. I can comment out the part that =
iterates until it finds a size</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>that works (recognized by `x-list-fonts'). That =
works, but I'm still curious</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>about this. (Is there perhaps a bug in `x-list-fonts' =
or in</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>`modify-frame-parameters'?)</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C95D12.4B3A5B80--

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C95D12.4B3A5B80
Content-Type: message/rfc822
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: attachment

Reply-To: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>,
	<[email-masked]>
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Sender: <bug-gnu-emacs-bounces+drew.adams=[email-masked]>
To: "'Jason Rumney'" <[email-masked]>,
	<[email-masked]>
Cc: "Emacs-Devel" <[email-masked]>
Subject: bug#119: modify-frame-parameters in Emacs 23 for fonts
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 06:56:48 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C95D12.4B3A5B80
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

> > FYI - This bug appears to be fixed in the Emacs 23 pretest 
> > (22.2.91). 
> 
> It is not an Emacs 23 pretest. It is an Emacs 22.3 pretest, 
> which is why bugs that have only ever been apparent in the 
> trunk are not present in this pretest. 

Oh, darn. I guess that means that these problems still are in Emacs 23. And this

also explains the "return" to the Emacs 22 icon that I noticed. 

Please then disregard all my mails from yesterday about Emacs 23 bugs that I 
thought had been fixed. Sorry for the confusion. 

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C95D12.4B3A5B80
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii">

<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version =
6.5.7036.0">
<TITLE>bug#119: modify-frame-parameters in Emacs 23 for fonts</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; FYI - This bug appears to be fixed in the =
Emacs 23 pretest </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; (22.2.91).</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; It is not an Emacs 23 pretest. It is an Emacs =
22.3 pretest, </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; which is why bugs that have only ever been =
apparent in the</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; trunk are not present in this pretest.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Oh, darn. I guess that means that these problems still =
are in Emacs 23. And this</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>also explains the &quot;return&quot; to the Emacs 22 =
icon that I noticed.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Please then disregard all my mails from yesterday =
about Emacs 23 bugs that I</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>thought had been fixed. Sorry for the =
confusion.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C95D12.4B3A5B80--

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C95D12.4B3A5B80--