Subject: Re: bug#15591: [PATCH] libparted: handle i18n gpt partition names correctly

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 11:11:48 -0800

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 6:16 AM, Phillip Susi <[email-masked]> wrote:
...
> You can create one with parted after applying the patch, or with
> gdisk, and entering a unicode character in the name.  Also git has no
> problem with binary files; util-linux includes several bzip2'd binary
> disk images for its test suite.
>
> Note that trying to use unicode characters with parted without this
> patch appears to work, since writing the string spreads it out over
> multiple bytes with zeros between, and reading it back undoes this
> damage.  Setting the name with gdisk causes parted to puke when it
> reads it.

Thanks for explaining.  In that case, we can create a test image with
a unicode character partition name, and use dd to inspect the on-disk
bytes, looking for the desired (new) behavior.  That should fail with
the pre-patch parted and succeed with the fixed version.

Sure, git can handle arbitrary files... but I have a general aversion
to storing test images in version control when there is an easy way
to avoid it.

Would you mind doing that?