Subject: bug#15577: 24.3; dir-local variables not applied when switching major-mode

From: yary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 09:23:41 -0400

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Stefan Monnier
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I've been experimenting with this today (along the lines of
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2013-10/msg00534.html )
>> and one of the things I noticed which I'd not previously considered
>> was the major mode switches which happen every time you enter the
>> minibuffer.
>
> I don't see why that would be a problem: only the *Minibuf-N* buffer
> changes major mode (and not even that, really, because mini-buffers
> don't follow the rules w.r.t major modes).

I also noticed that going into the minibuffer would trigger
mode-change hooks, and much hilarity ensued when I had a call to the
debugger dropped in there... I don't have more to add other than I am
following these posts with interest, and thanks for running it. Seems
like you will be able to handle both file and dir-locals, and that
splitting out file locals to bug #15658 was premature- I prefer the
way you're going, since it keeps the permanence within the buffer; my
proposal would have set the "permanent-local" property and alas
properties are always global.