Subject: Re: bug#15576: 24.3.50; Some minor issues regarding the new TTY menus

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 22:26:35 +0300

> Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 21:06:13 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
> 
> First of all, thanks for implementing drop-down text menus.  They are
> way better that the text-mode-menus implemented so far.

You are welcome.

> 1. The "Buffers" menu becomes "Select Buffers" when selected (see
> capture-1.png).  I think that the text of the menus should not change
> upon selection.

The text shown at the top of the menu is the so-called "prompt string"
that comes from the menu structure.  And in menu-bar.el we have this:

         ;; We used to "(define-key (current-global-map) [menu-bar buffer]"
         ;; but that did not do the right thing when the [menu-bar buffer]
         ;; entry above had been moved (e.g. to a parent keymap).
	 (setcdr global-buffers-menu-map (cons "Select Buffer" buffers-menu)))))
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The menu display code does not invent anything, it just shows what's
in the menu.  If you want to change that, change menu-bar.el.
(Personally, I don't see why "Select Buffer" is wrong here, but that's
me.)

> 2. When I select the "Help" menu, the drop-down list is shown shifted a
> bit to the left wrt its "normal" position, because of lack of enough
> space at the right side of the window (see capture-2.png).  That's OK,
> but the menu header ("Help") should not be shifted at all from its
> original position (only the drop-down list should be).

The menu is dropped as a single entity, and the heading (the prompt
string) starts at the left edge of the menu.  So this is by design,
and won't change.

> As you can see, the "elp" string at the right side looks weird.

It doesn't look weird to me, but I'm used to this.  Try clicking the
mouse on the menu bar, somewhere within the "Help" string, and you
will see that the menu is dropped where the mouse clicks, not
necessarily where the "Help" is.

IOW, this is a feature.

> 3. From a GUI session, disable menu-bar-mode and type F10.  I see that
> the old text mode menu is shown.  Why not show the new drop-down text
> menu instead?

Because the code for the new drop-down text menu will not work in the
GUI session.  The internals of the display engine which the menu code
piggy-backs are completely different in the GUI mode.

I tend to close this as not-a-bug.  Any reasons not to?