Subject: bug#15549: hydra.gnu.org uses nontrivial and nonfree javascript

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 07:46:52 +0200

Hi Dave,

> I'd just like to point out that hydra.gnu.org does *NOT* use non-free
> javascript. I can assure you that everything is free software.
> LibreJS just needs to be told so using a very specific metadata
> format.

I think that the idea of machine readable license information is good.
Obviously, it is very early to rely on something like this, because it
is hardly used by anyone.  By adding this information to websites we
maintain we can change that a little.

> I really do not like that LibreJS tells users that they are
> running non-free code and encourages them to complain to site admins
> about it when really LibreJS doesn't know anything.

Yes, “complain” is really not a nice default.

> Part of my old job at the FSF was making sure LibreJS didn't complain
> about things on FSF-run sites.  It took a lot of time to do and I
> don't think it was ever worth the effort.  I haven't used LibreJS in
> years and probably never will again.

With current versions of LibreJS I found it pretty easy to make the
changes to websites that are required to keep LibreJS from complaining.

The only gotcha was that the browser has to be restarted after changes
to license information.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net