Subject: bug#15549: hydra.gnu.org uses nontrivial and nonfree javascript

From: "Thompson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 11:15:46 -0400

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Christophe Jarry <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> AFAICS it's actually the case.  However, all this lacks the right
>> tags for LibreJS to recognize it.
>>
>> Could you tell us what's needed to make it work?
>
> You should be able to do it with the instructions on those pages:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/librejs/free-your-javascript
> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/javascript-labels

I'd just like to point out that hydra.gnu.org does *NOT* use non-free
javascript. I can assure you that everything is free software.
LibreJS just needs to be told so using a very specific metadata
format.  I really do not like that LibreJS tells users that they are
running non-free code and encourages them to complain to site admins
about it when really LibreJS doesn't know anything. I wish LibreJS
would change the messaging but that seems unlikely.

Part of my old job at the FSF was making sure LibreJS didn't complain
about things on FSF-run sites.  It took a lot of time to do and I
don't think it was ever worth the effort.  I haven't used LibreJS in
years and probably never will again.

- Dave