Subject: Re: bug#15541: 24.3; RTL in visual-line-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 05:49:05 +0300

tags 15541 wontfix
thanks

> Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2013 16:16:45 -0400
> From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
> 
> When using an RTL language in visual-line-mode + org-mode, a sec
> ond dispalyed-line of typing for a paragraph appears ABOVE the prior
> dispalyed-line. In other words, the rendering for paragraphs is in
> reverse-line order. This does not affect paragraph sequence within a
> document, only dispalyed-line sequence within a single paragraph.

This is by design, and can only be fixed by a radical change in the
Emacs display engine and how the bidirectional text is rendered by it
(the reordering needs to be done _after_ a line of text is rendered
for display).

As a workaround, either use hard newlines, to make your lines shorter
than the window width, or set bidi-paragraph-direction in that buffer
to right-to-left (or nil, if some of the paragraphs in that Org buffer
use a predominantly LTR script).