Subject: 24.3.50; Emacs aborts at startup upon SIGTERM

From: Barry OReilly <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 15:35:56 -0400

I started Emacs and while it was starting I killed it with a simple
'kill' (SIGTERM default) and Emacs core dumped. I presume SIGTERM is
meant to cause a more controlled exit. I was opening Emacs over an
'ssh -X' connection which was being rather slow.

Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
#0  0x00000031cfc0e7fd in raise () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00000031cfc0e7fd in raise () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
#1  0x00000000004d0e35 in terminate_due_to_signal (sig=6,
backtrace_limit=40) at emacs.c:369
#2  0x00000000004ea673 in emacs_abort () at sysdep.c:2125
#3  0x00000000004b2e32 in x_connection_closed (dpy=<value optimized out>,
error_message=0xb45110 "\005\030\266") at xterm.c:7732
#4  0x00000000004b2e85 in x_io_error_quitter (display=0xc3b4b0) at
xterm.c:7838
#5  0x000000376dc49f6d in _XIOError () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#6  0x000000376dc4bae9 in _XReply () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#7  0x000000376dc996e8 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#8  0x000000376dc99e98 in XkbGetUpdatedMap () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#9  0x000000376dc99f75 in XkbGetMap () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#10 0x000000376dc95ce1 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#11 0x000000376dc963fb in XkbLookupKeySym () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#12 0x000000376dc964cb in XLookupString () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#13 0x000000376dc696ec in _XimLocalFilter () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#14 0x000000376dc281d4 in XFilterEvent () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#15 0x00000000004b1bab in x_filter_event (gxev=<value optimized out>,
ev=<value optimized out>, data=<value optimized out>) at xterm.c:5739
#16 event_handler_gdk (gxev=<value optimized out>, ev=<value optimized
out>, data=<value optimized out>) at xterm.c:5767
#17 0x000000327b04355c in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#18 0x000000327b044bf6 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#19 0x000000327b046482 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#20 0x000000327b04689e in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#21 0x00000031d482cdb4 in g_main_context_dispatch () from
/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#22 0x00000031d482fc0d in ?? () from /lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#23 0x00000031d483011e in g_main_context_iteration () from
/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#24 0x000000327b52a911 in gtk_main_iteration () from
/usr/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#25 0x00000000004b2efb in XTread_socket (terminal=<value optimized out>,
hold_quit=0x7fff5de9aea0) at xterm.c:7102
#26 0x00000000004d72f3 in gobble_input () at keyboard.c:6828
#27 0x00000000004d73d5 in handle_async_input () at keyboard.c:7068
#28 process_pending_signals () at keyboard.c:7082
#29 0x00000000004d0dd9 in terminate_due_to_signal (sig=15,
backtrace_limit=40) at emacs.c:343
#30 0x00000000004ea6fe in handle_fatal_signal (sig=18936) at sysdep.c:1626
#31 0x00000000004eac05 in deliver_process_signal (sig=15, handler=0x4ea6f0
<handle_fatal_signal>) at sysdep.c:1566
#32 <signal handler called>
#33 0x00000031cf0cae0f in poll () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#34 0x000000376dc4a9f0 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#35 0x000000376dc4ae19 in _XRead () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#36 0x000000376dc4b811 in _XReply () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#37 0x000000376dc434ea in XSync () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#38 0x00000000004a9765 in x_uncatch_errors () at xterm.c:7587
#39 0x00000000004a9932 in get_current_wm_state (f=0x11093b0,
window=65011799, size_state=0x7fff5de9bcec, sticky=0x7fff5de9bce8) at
xterm.c:8380
#40 0x00000000004af9ff in x_handle_net_wm_state (dpyinfo=0xc81210,
eventptr=0x7fff5de9bf50, finish=0xade0bc, hold_quit=0x7fff5de9c180) at
xterm.c:8505
#41 handle_one_xevent (dpyinfo=0xc81210, eventptr=0x7fff5de9bf50,
finish=0xade0bc, hold_quit=0x7fff5de9c180) at xterm.c:6073
#42 0x00000000004b1bdc in event_handler_gdk (gxev=<value optimized out>,
ev=<value optimized out>, data=<value optimized out>) at xterm.c:5779
#43 0x000000327b04355c in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#44 0x000000327b044bf6 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#45 0x000000327b046482 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#46 0x000000327b04689e in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#47 0x00000031d482cdb4 in g_main_context_dispatch () from
/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#48 0x00000031d482fc0d in ?? () from /lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#49 0x00000031d483011e in g_main_context_iteration () from
/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#50 0x000000327b52a911 in gtk_main_iteration () from
/usr/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#51 0x00000000004b2efb in XTread_socket (terminal=<value optimized out>,
hold_quit=0x7fff5de9c180) at xterm.c:7102
#52 0x00000000004d72f3 in gobble_input () at keyboard.c:6828
#53 0x00000000004d73d5 in handle_async_input () at keyboard.c:7068
#54 process_pending_signals () at keyboard.c:7082
#55 0x00000000004b226c in x_make_frame_visible (f=0x11093b0) at xterm.c:9098
#56 0x000000000041dc28 in Fmake_frame_visible (frame=<value optimized out>)
at frame.c:1669
#57 0x0000000000543634 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=<value optimized out>) at
eval.c:2855
#58 0x00000000005721c9 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=12817584, vector=33,
maxdepth=-1, args_template=0, nargs=0, args=0x0) at bytecode.c:905
#59 0x000000000054327e in funcall_lambda (fun=8932181, nargs=1,
arg_vector=0x7fff5de9c460) at eval.c:3089
#60 0x0000000000543519 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=<value optimized out>) at
eval.c:2916
#61 0x00000000005721c9 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=12817584, vector=33,
maxdepth=-1, args_template=0, nargs=0, args=0x0) at bytecode.c:905
#62 0x000000000054327e in funcall_lambda (fun=9569461, nargs=1,
arg_vector=0x7fff5de9c5d0) at eval.c:3089
#63 0x0000000000543519 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=<value optimized out>) at
eval.c:2916
#64 0x00000000005721c9 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=12817584, vector=33,
maxdepth=-1, args_template=0, nargs=0, args=0x0) at bytecode.c:905
#65 0x000000000054327e in funcall_lambda (fun=9564605, nargs=0,
arg_vector=0x7fff5de9c750) at eval.c:3089
#66 0x0000000000543519 in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=<value optimized out>) at
eval.c:2916
#67 0x00000000005721c9 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=12817584, vector=32,
maxdepth=-1, args_template=0, nargs=0, args=0x7fff5de9c8c8) at
bytecode.c:905
#68 0x0000000000543519 in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=<value optimized out>) at
eval.c:2916
#69 0x00000000005721c9 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=12817584, vector=32,
maxdepth=-1, args_template=0, nargs=0, args=0x7fff5de9c990) at
bytecode.c:905
#70 0x0000000000544751 in apply_lambda (fun=8965933, args=11845218) at
eval.c:2964
#71 0x0000000000542a2e in eval_sub (form=<value optimized out>) at
eval.c:2270
#72 0x0000000000544dc2 in Feval (form=12042342, lexical=<value optimized
out>) at eval.c:2042
#73 0x0000000000541cde in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x4d59b0
<top_level_2>, handlers=11904962, hfun=0x4d9110 <cmd_error>) at eval.c:1339
#74 0x00000000004d9316 in top_level_1 (ignore=<value optimized out>) at
keyboard.c:1178
#75 0x0000000000541b9b in internal_catch (tag=<value optimized out>,
func=0x4d92b0 <top_level_1>, arg=11845218) at eval.c:1113
#76 0x00000000004d8648 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1139
#77 recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:779
#78 0x00000000004d9f86 in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:843
#79 0x00000000004d1b0d in main (argc=<value optimized out>,
argv=0x7fff5de9cf68) at emacs.c:1570
(gdb)

This is version d6daa95f46bf36fc4428b511040d97153a6f8dab of the
Savannah Git repo (dated 2013-08-30).

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.4)
 of 2013-08-30 on REDACTED
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.70101000
System Description:    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.4 (Tikanga)

Configured using:
 `configure
 --prefix=/home/boreilly/g/sw/emacs-install-trunk-d6daa95f46bf36fc4428b511040d97153a6f8dab
 --with-gif=no'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)