Subject: bug#15534: closed (Re: 24.3.50; Emacs aborts at startup upon SIGTERM)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 13:18:03 +0000

Your bug report

#15534: 24.3.50; Emacs aborts at startup upon SIGTERM

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
15534: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15534
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 24.3.50; Emacs aborts at startup upon SIGTERM
From: Barry OReilly <[email-masked]>
To: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 09:17:40 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Verified, thanks.

Subject: 24.3.50; Emacs aborts at startup upon SIGTERM
From: Barry OReilly <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 15:35:56 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I started Emacs and while it was starting I killed it with a simple
'kill' (SIGTERM default) and Emacs core dumped. I presume SIGTERM is
meant to cause a more controlled exit. I was opening Emacs over an
'ssh -X' connection which was being rather slow.

Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
#0  0x00000031cfc0e7fd in raise () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00000031cfc0e7fd in raise () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
#1  0x00000000004d0e35 in terminate_due_to_signal (sig=6,
backtrace_limit=40) at emacs.c:369
#2  0x00000000004ea673 in emacs_abort () at sysdep.c:2125
#3  0x00000000004b2e32 in x_connection_closed (dpy=<value optimized out>,
error_message=0xb45110 "\005\030\266") at xterm.c:7732
#4  0x00000000004b2e85 in x_io_error_quitter (display=0xc3b4b0) at
xterm.c:7838
#5  0x000000376dc49f6d in _XIOError () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#6  0x000000376dc4bae9 in _XReply () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#7  0x000000376dc996e8 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#8  0x000000376dc99e98 in XkbGetUpdatedMap () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#9  0x000000376dc99f75 in XkbGetMap () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#10 0x000000376dc95ce1 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#11 0x000000376dc963fb in XkbLookupKeySym () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#12 0x000000376dc964cb in XLookupString () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#13 0x000000376dc696ec in _XimLocalFilter () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#14 0x000000376dc281d4 in XFilterEvent () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#15 0x00000000004b1bab in x_filter_event (gxev=<value optimized out>,
ev=<value optimized out>, data=<value optimized out>) at xterm.c:5739
#16 event_handler_gdk (gxev=<value optimized out>, ev=<value optimized
out>, data=<value optimized out>) at xterm.c:5767
#17 0x000000327b04355c in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#18 0x000000327b044bf6 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#19 0x000000327b046482 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#20 0x000000327b04689e in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#21 0x00000031d482cdb4 in g_main_context_dispatch () from
/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#22 0x00000031d482fc0d in ?? () from /lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#23 0x00000031d483011e in g_main_context_iteration () from
/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#24 0x000000327b52a911 in gtk_main_iteration () from
/usr/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#25 0x00000000004b2efb in XTread_socket (terminal=<value optimized out>,
hold_quit=0x7fff5de9aea0) at xterm.c:7102
#26 0x00000000004d72f3 in gobble_input () at keyboard.c:6828
#27 0x00000000004d73d5 in handle_async_input () at keyboard.c:7068
#28 process_pending_signals () at keyboard.c:7082
#29 0x00000000004d0dd9 in terminate_due_to_signal (sig=15,
backtrace_limit=40) at emacs.c:343
#30 0x00000000004ea6fe in handle_fatal_signal (sig=18936) at sysdep.c:1626
#31 0x00000000004eac05 in deliver_process_signal (sig=15, handler=0x4ea6f0
<handle_fatal_signal>) at sysdep.c:1566
#32 <signal handler called>
#33 0x00000031cf0cae0f in poll () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#34 0x000000376dc4a9f0 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#35 0x000000376dc4ae19 in _XRead () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#36 0x000000376dc4b811 in _XReply () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#37 0x000000376dc434ea in XSync () from /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6
#38 0x00000000004a9765 in x_uncatch_errors () at xterm.c:7587
#39 0x00000000004a9932 in get_current_wm_state (f=0x11093b0,
window=65011799, size_state=0x7fff5de9bcec, sticky=0x7fff5de9bce8) at
xterm.c:8380
#40 0x00000000004af9ff in x_handle_net_wm_state (dpyinfo=0xc81210,
eventptr=0x7fff5de9bf50, finish=0xade0bc, hold_quit=0x7fff5de9c180) at
xterm.c:8505
#41 handle_one_xevent (dpyinfo=0xc81210, eventptr=0x7fff5de9bf50,
finish=0xade0bc, hold_quit=0x7fff5de9c180) at xterm.c:6073
#42 0x00000000004b1bdc in event_handler_gdk (gxev=<value optimized out>,
ev=<value optimized out>, data=<value optimized out>) at xterm.c:5779
#43 0x000000327b04355c in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#44 0x000000327b044bf6 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#45 0x000000327b046482 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#46 0x000000327b04689e in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#47 0x00000031d482cdb4 in g_main_context_dispatch () from
/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#48 0x00000031d482fc0d in ?? () from /lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#49 0x00000031d483011e in g_main_context_iteration () from
/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#50 0x000000327b52a911 in gtk_main_iteration () from
/usr/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#51 0x00000000004b2efb in XTread_socket (terminal=<value optimized out>,
hold_quit=0x7fff5de9c180) at xterm.c:7102
#52 0x00000000004d72f3 in gobble_input () at keyboard.c:6828
#53 0x00000000004d73d5 in handle_async_input () at keyboard.c:7068
#54 process_pending_signals () at keyboard.c:7082
#55 0x00000000004b226c in x_make_frame_visible (f=0x11093b0) at xterm.c:9098
#56 0x000000000041dc28 in Fmake_frame_visible (frame=<value optimized out>)
at frame.c:1669
#57 0x0000000000543634 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=<value optimized out>) at
eval.c:2855
#58 0x00000000005721c9 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=12817584, vector=33,
maxdepth=-1, args_template=0, nargs=0, args=0x0) at bytecode.c:905
#59 0x000000000054327e in funcall_lambda (fun=8932181, nargs=1,
arg_vector=0x7fff5de9c460) at eval.c:3089
#60 0x0000000000543519 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=<value optimized out>) at
eval.c:2916
#61 0x00000000005721c9 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=12817584, vector=33,
maxdepth=-1, args_template=0, nargs=0, args=0x0) at bytecode.c:905
#62 0x000000000054327e in funcall_lambda (fun=9569461, nargs=1,
arg_vector=0x7fff5de9c5d0) at eval.c:3089
#63 0x0000000000543519 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=<value optimized out>) at
eval.c:2916
#64 0x00000000005721c9 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=12817584, vector=33,
maxdepth=-1, args_template=0, nargs=0, args=0x0) at bytecode.c:905
#65 0x000000000054327e in funcall_lambda (fun=9564605, nargs=0,
arg_vector=0x7fff5de9c750) at eval.c:3089
#66 0x0000000000543519 in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=<value optimized out>) at
eval.c:2916
#67 0x00000000005721c9 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=12817584, vector=32,
maxdepth=-1, args_template=0, nargs=0, args=0x7fff5de9c8c8) at
bytecode.c:905
#68 0x0000000000543519 in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=<value optimized out>) at
eval.c:2916
#69 0x00000000005721c9 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=12817584, vector=32,
maxdepth=-1, args_template=0, nargs=0, args=0x7fff5de9c990) at
bytecode.c:905
#70 0x0000000000544751 in apply_lambda (fun=8965933, args=11845218) at
eval.c:2964
#71 0x0000000000542a2e in eval_sub (form=<value optimized out>) at
eval.c:2270
#72 0x0000000000544dc2 in Feval (form=12042342, lexical=<value optimized
out>) at eval.c:2042
#73 0x0000000000541cde in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x4d59b0
<top_level_2>, handlers=11904962, hfun=0x4d9110 <cmd_error>) at eval.c:1339
#74 0x00000000004d9316 in top_level_1 (ignore=<value optimized out>) at
keyboard.c:1178
#75 0x0000000000541b9b in internal_catch (tag=<value optimized out>,
func=0x4d92b0 <top_level_1>, arg=11845218) at eval.c:1113
#76 0x00000000004d8648 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1139
#77 recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:779
#78 0x00000000004d9f86 in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:843
#79 0x00000000004d1b0d in main (argc=<value optimized out>,
argv=0x7fff5de9cf68) at emacs.c:1570
(gdb)

This is version d6daa95f46bf36fc4428b511040d97153a6f8dab of the
Savannah Git repo (dated 2013-08-30).

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.4)
 of 2013-08-30 on REDACTED
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.70101000
System Description:    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.4 (Tikanga)

Configured using:
 `configure
 --prefix=/home/boreilly/g/sw/emacs-install-trunk-d6daa95f46bf36fc4428b511040d97153a6f8dab
 --with-gif=no'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)