Subject: bug#15514: closed (Re: bug#15514: 24.3.50; Re: Issue with fonts on macosx)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 20:26:02 +0000

Your bug report

#15514: 24.3.50; Re: Issue with fonts on macosx

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
15514: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15514
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#15514: 24.3.50; Re: Issue with fonts on macosx
From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
To: Markus Pahlow <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 21:25:23 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Markus Pahlow <[email-masked]> writes:

> After the Mac port font backend was ported to the trunk, there
> appeared a new display problem with LaTeX files on macosx. When I open
> a file in latex mode and enter $x_0^0$, both 0s are shown in
> superscript position, whereasthe first 0 should be in subscript
> position. Also, when using AUCTeX, all the section, subsection, etc.
> arguments are shown in subscript position. A recipe to reproduce the
> problem from emacs -Q: open a file "test.tex" and enter $x_0^0$.

Hi, sorry nobody's got back to you about this before now. I can't
reproduce in Emacs 25+. I think it's probably been fixed at some point.
I'll close this bug report, but if you're still seeing this behaviour,
please reply and let us know.
-- 
Alan Third

Subject: 24.3.50; Re: Issue with fonts on macosx
From: Markus Pahlow <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 08:56:09 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

After the Mac port font backend was ported to the trunk, there appeared a new display problem with LaTeX files on macosx.  When I open a file in latex
mode and enter $x_0^0$, both 0s are shown in superscript position, whereasthe first 0 should be in subscript position.  Also, when using AUCTeX, all
the section, subsection, etc. arguments are shown in subscript position.  A recipe to reproduce the problem from emacs -Q: open a file "test.tex" and enter $x_0^0$.
When I comment out these lines (starting on line 1178) in nsfns.m:
#ifdef NS_IMPL_COCOA
#if MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED >=3D MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_5
if (CTGetCoreTextVersion !=3D NULL
     && CTGetCoreTextVersion () >=3D kCTVersionNumber10_5)
   mac_register_font_driver (f);
#endif
#endif
and recompile, the LaTeX code is displayed correctly again.  Can you reproduce this problem?  I use clang version 500.2.75 from xcode 5 and osx 10.8.5.  I don't know what the above code does, but I hope it helps finding the cause of the problem.
I was advised by Jan Djärv that setting the font-backend frame parameter to "ns" also corrects the display problem.
Many thanks.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin12.5.0, NS apple-appkit-1187.39)
of 2013-09-25 on hui.geomar.de
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1187
Configured using:
`configure --with-ns CFLAGS=3D-O4 CC=3Dclang 'CPP=3Dclang -E''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  TeX-source-correlate-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  global-rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  tabbar-mwheel-mode: t
  tabbar-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x r e p o <tab> r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading delsel...done
Loading autorevert...done
Loading hl-line...done
Loading recentf...done
Loading paren...done
Loading /Users/mpahlow/.emacs.d/recentf...done
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
Loading /Users/mpahlow/.emacs.d/custom.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/Users/mpahlow/.emacs.d/elpa/gnuplot-20130207.101/gnuplot hides /usr/local/=
share/emacs/site-lisp/gnuplot
/Users/mpahlow/.emacs.d/elpa/gnuplot-20130207.101/gnuplot-gui hides /usr/lo=
cal/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnuplot-gui
~/.emacs.d/el-get/el-get/.dir-locals hides /usr/local/src/emacs/nextstep/Em=
acs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
sanityinc-solarized-light-theme color-theme-sanityinc-solarized ido
ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb
ess-noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l
ess-sas-a ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d
ess-sp3-d ess-julia ess-r-d compile ess-tracebug ess-roxy hideshow
ess-help ess-developer ess-r-args eldoc ess-s-l ess ess-inf ess-mode
ess-noweb-mode ess-utils ess-custom executable ess-compat ess-site
auctex-latexmk latex edmacro kmacro tex-style tex-buf tex crm
smartparens-config smartparens thingatpt dash rainbow-delimiters tabbar
exec-path-from-shell auctex-latexmk-autoloads
exec-path-from-shell-autoloads f90-interface-browser-autoloads
gnuplot-autoloads tabbar-autoloads package saveplace tramp-cache
tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache tramp-loaddefs cl-macs trampver shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color format-spec paren recentf tree-widget hl-line autorevert
filenotify delsel cus-start cus-load warnings server srecode/srt-mode
semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn
semantic/format srecode/template srecode/srt-wy semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/ctxt srecode/ctxt semantic/tag-ls
semantic/find srecode/compile srecode/dictionary srecode/table
srecode/map srecode semanticdb-matlab semantic/db semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
eieio-opt help-mode find-func cedet-matlab psvn advice help-fns cl
log-edit ring pcvs-util add-log diff-mode easy-mmode matlab-load
preview-latex tex-site auto-loads ede/speedbar ede/files ede ede/base gv
ede/auto ede/source eieio-base eieio-speedbar speedbar sb-image ezimage
dframe easymenu eieio-custom wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core cedet savehist time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns
multi-tty emacs)