Subject: Re: bug#15485: add-abbrev: don't use hard-coded forward-word

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:29:32 -0700

Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]> writes:

> add-abbrev uses forward-word to catch the expansion, which isn't good
> for programming code.
>
> See
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19073674/how-can-i-add-my-personal-abbreviation-to-emmet-mode-in-emacs/19079683#19079683
>
> Suggest to use forward-symbol instead, or still better to make if customizable:

(I'm going through old bug reports that have unfortunately gotten no
responses yet.)

`add-abbrev' doesn't have a doc string itself, but as all the in-tree
callers of this function says:

---
Don't use this function in a Lisp program; use `define-abbrev' instead.
---

So you probably shouldn't use this programmatically, either.

However, it's possible that the `forward-word' should perhaps be
changed, but on the other hand, abbrev.el will probably be deprecated
any year now in favour of nabbrev.el, so I don't think it's a good idea
to change anything here, and I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no