Subject: bug#1548 closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#1548: -fn "-*-nonexistent" choses a font with no latin characters)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 03:30:06 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs,w32 package:

#1548: -fn "-*-nonexistent" choses a font with no latin characters

It has been closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1548: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1548
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#1548: -fn "-*-nonexistent" choses a font with no latin characters
From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:22:52 +0800

As observed by Juanma, this has been fixed, but has revealed another bug 
with non-existent fonts - now filed as Bug#1836

>From [email-masked] Fri Dec 12 03:19:52 2008
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:19:47 +0100
From: "Juanma Barranquero" <[email-masked]>
To: "Emacs Bug Tracker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: -fn "-*-nonexistent" choses a font with no latin characters

------=_Part_4991_26115948.1229080787952
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

Package: emacs,w32
Version: 23.0.60

Executing emacs like so

  emacs -Q -fn "-*-nonexistent"

selects a non-usable font (no ASCII chars).

This problem was already discussed:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-06/msg01305.html

This is the output of C-u M-x describe-char:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
        character: ; (59, #o73, #x3b)
preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
       code point: 0x3B
           syntax: < 	which means: comment
         category: a:ASCII
ASCII graphic characters 32-126 (ISO646 IRV:1983[4/0]) l:Latin r:Roman
Japanese roman
      buffer code: #x3B
        file code: #x3B (encoded by coding system iso-latin-1-dos)
          display: no font available

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: SEMICOLON
  general-category: Po (Punctuation, Other)

There are text properties here:
  face                 font-lock-comment-delimiter-face
  fontified            t
----------------------------------------------------------------------

and this is the font-log:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
uniscribe-list: -*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Latha-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Mangal-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-MV Boli-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Raavi-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Shruti-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Tunga-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Estrangelo Edessa-normal-normal-normal-script-*-p-*-nonexistent
w32font-list: -*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Latha-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Mangal-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-MV Boli-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Raavi-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Shruti-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Tunga-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Estrangelo Edessa-normal-normal-normal-script-*-p-*-nonexistent
list: -*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Latha-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Mangal-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-MV Boli-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Raavi-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Shruti-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Tunga-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Estrangelo Edessa-normal-normal-normal-script-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Latha-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Mangal-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-MV Boli-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Raavi-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Shruti-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Tunga-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Estrangelo Edessa-normal-normal-normal-script-*-p-*-nonexistent
sort-by: -*-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-nonexistent
  uniscribe:-outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
open: -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  uniscribe:-outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-p-*-nonexistent
uniscribe-list: -outline-Gautami-*-iso8859-1
w32font-list: -outline-Gautami-*-iso8859-1
list: -outline-Gautami-*-iso8859-1
uniscribe-list: -outline-Gautami-*-ascii-0
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-ascii-0
w32font-list: -outline-Gautami-*-ascii-0
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-ascii-0
list: -outline-Gautami-*-ascii-0
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-ascii-0
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-ascii-0
sort-by: -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-ascii-0
  uniscribe:-outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-ascii-0
open: -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-ascii-0
  uniscribe:-outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-p-*-ascii-0
list: -outline-Gautami-*-iso8859-1
list: -outline-Gautami-*-ascii-0
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-ascii-0
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-ascii-0
sort-by: -outline-Gautami-normal-italic-normal-*-16-*-ascii-0
  uniscribe:-outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-ascii-0
uniscribe-list: -outline-Gautami-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
w32font-list: -outline-Gautami-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
list: -outline-Gautami-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
sort-by: -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-p-*-nonexistent
  uniscribe:-outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
open: -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  uniscribe:-outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-p-*-nonexistent
uniscribe-list: -outline-Gautami-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
w32font-list: -outline-Gautami-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
list: -outline-Gautami-*-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
sort-by: -outline-Gautami-light-normal-normal-*-16-*-p-*-nonexistent
  uniscribe:-outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
open: -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  uniscribe:-outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-p-*-nonexistent
list: -outline-Gautami-*-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
sort-by: -outline-Gautami-light-normal-normal-*-16-*-p-*-nonexistent
  uniscribe:-outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
list: -outline-Gautami-*-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
sort-by: -outline-Gautami-light-normal-normal-*-16-*-p-*-nonexistent
  uniscribe:-outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
list: -outline-Gautami-*-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
sort-by: -outline-Gautami-bold-normal-normal-*-16-*-p-*-nonexistent
  uniscribe:-outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
list: -outline-Gautami-normal-*-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
  -outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
sort-by: -outline-Gautami-normal-italic-normal-*-16-*-p-*-nonexistent
  uniscribe:-outline-Gautami-normal-normal-normal-*-p-*-nonexistent
----------------------------------------------------------------------

------=_Part_4991_26115948.1229080787952
Content-Type: image/png; name=bug.png
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
X-Attachment-Id: f_fomqsg080
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=bug.png

------=_Part_4991_26115948.1229080787952--