Subject: Re: bug#15478: cc-mode does not obey electric-indent-mode

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 17:06:46 +0000 (UTC)

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> The global default should be On for C and Off for Python.

> There's a problem in your sentence: global means "for all modes",
> whereas you only talk about C and Python.

:-).  Then please consider that last sentence of mine modified by
removing "global" from it.

> My opinion is: default for python-mode should be off (I think we all agree
> here) and default for cc-mode should be the same as the global default.

Yes, we agree about python-mode.  The default for CC Mode must be on,
otherwise automatic indentation is broken.

> What the global default should be is another discussion.

In the sense we now agree upon, there shouldn't be a global default,
just as there isn't a global default for `font-lock-keywords'.

>>> Whereas this bug report is about changing cc-mode to follow the
>>> global preference, whichever way it's set.

>> If it's been set.

> No: even if it's not been set by the user.

If it's not been explicitly disabled by the user, electric indentation
must be on in CC Mode.  Otherwise automatic indentation doesn't work.

>        Stefan

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).