Subject: Comparing files whose name _do_ match a certain pattern

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 09:59:24 +0200

[Please, keep my address in CC, as I'm not subscribed to this list]

Hello,

I'm badly missing an "--include" option in "diff", which would have
the inverse effect of "--exclude", i.e., to consider only files whose
names _do_ match a certain pattern.

I've been searching the internet and also this mailing list, seeking a
way of doing this, but I've failed so far, and I'm quite surprised
that such a feature isn't implemented already.

What I want is a simple way of comparing two directories which have a
bunch of different file types, and I'm only interested on comparing a
subset of them.  Yes, I have the option of excluding every other
possible filetype, but that would be far more complex to do.

Are there a simple way of doing what I want?  If not, could you
implement that "--include" option?

Thanks in advance.

-- 
Dani Moncayo