Subject: Re: [bug-diffutils] bug#15452: Comparing files whose name _do_ match a certain pattern

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 16:34:25 +0200

> Ah, but why should we bloat diff when find already gives you what you want:
>
> find . -name '*.txt' -exec diff {} other/{} \;
>
> will run diff on only files ending in *.txt, when comparing . against
> other/.

Ah yes, that's one possibility for doing what I want, but I'd
definitely prefer having the "--include" option, because:

1. Simplicity: It would be a lot simpler than the find/diff
combination.  And in the probable case that the "old" directory to
compare is not the current working directory, things get even more
complex, because the files in the "new" directory could not be
expressed in such a simple way ("whatever/{}").

2. Consistency: Why not having an "--include" option when we have an
"--exclude" option?

-- 
Dani Moncayo