Subject: Re: bug#15444: One character can be lost if colors are enabled

From: Jaroslav Skarvada <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 03:41:01 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Jaroslav Skarvada <[email-masked]>
> wrote:
> > printf
> > 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx1234xxxxxxxxx\n'
> > | grep 1234 --color=always
> 
> Thank you for the report.
> I confirm that setting GREP_COLORS=ne is a work-around.  Does that
> have unwelcome side effects on any other type of terminal that you've
> tried?
> 
It's only workaround, I think it cannot be used by default, because
it can have undesired effect if custom background is used, e.g.:

$ printf 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx12345x\n' | GREP_COLORS='sl=01;41:ne' grep --color=always 1234

(on some terms you need to repeat this more times until the term
vertically scrolls to see the difference w/wo 'ne').

>From the discussion in the original report it seems, the reported
xterm autowrap behaviour is DEC VT100 feature (for me historical bug
that became feature) and could be deduced from the xenl terminfo
capability. But as e.g. libvte interprets this different way, there
is probably no simple fix (even in case grep would read terminfo).
Maybe the xterm upstream will come with some idea

Jaroslav