Subject: Re: bug#15440: [PATCH] dfa: fix \s and \S to work for multibyte

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 17:38:40 -0700

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 5:24 AM, Aharon Robbins <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Jim.
>
> I should note that gawk uses its own regex, although it does rely
> on glibc for isspace / iswspace etc...
...

close 15440
thanks

I've pushed my grep patches, but chose to omit 4 multibyte space
characters from the list in the test, since each of those would
provoke a failure on recent glibc-based systems (fedora 19).  That
seems to be due to errors in glibc's UTF-8 multibyte flags (wrong
whitespace bit) for those characters.

Arnold, I tried your latest gawk on a Fedora 19 system, and see the
same failure for those four characters, e.g.,

$ printf '\xc2\xa0\n' | LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 ./gawk
'/[[:space:]]/'|wc -c
0