Subject: bug#15430: closed (Re: bug#15430: 24.3; ido-completing-read is not a replacement for completing-read)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 16:22:02 +0000

Your bug report

#15430: 24.3; ido-completing-read is not a replacement for completing-read

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
15430: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15430
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#15430: 24.3; ido-completing-read is not a replacement for completing-read
From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 11:21:43 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I probably shouldn't have read "replacement for" as "perfect
replacement for". The docstrings do explain the different type
requirements, so there is no need to keep this open.

Note: for an actual ido completing-read-function see ido-ubiquitous.

Subject: 24.3; ido-completing-read is not a replacement for completing-read
From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 00:44:54 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Starting from emacs -Q -nw --eval "(setq completing-read-function
#'ido-completing-read)"

Then M-x gives
ido-set-matches: Wrong type argument: listp, [gnus-put-display-table
message-check-news-body-syntax gnus-make-overlay ido-save-history
message-check-element qp-or-base64 message-insert-wide-reply
help-xref-url-regexp ido-word-matching-substring gnus-set-file-modes
...]

I gather from http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/134000 that
ido-completing-read is supposed to be wrapped, but there should at
least be some indication of this in the docstring. It certainly
shouldn't claim to be the "Ido replacement for the built-in
`completing-read'."

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2013-08-23 on localhost
Configured using:
 `configure '-C' '--with-x-toolkit=lucid'
 '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--with-gif=no' 'CFLAGS=-O2
 -march=native''