Subject: Re: bug#15427: 24.3.50; `customize-face' in Customize, show `Background' attribute using background

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:36:13 -0700

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> emacs -Q
> M-x customize-face lazy-highlight
>
> Attribute `Background' has its own `sample', which shows the color.
> But it shows the color as a foreground (text).  Show it as the
> background, instead.
>
> This is independent of the overall `sample' for the face as a whole.
> It's just more helpful to show the background color choice as a
> background.

There's a whole bunch of things that can have a colour when customising
a face -- like stipple background/foreground, overline, etc.  I don't
know whether it makes sense to special-case just the (main) background
colour...  but perhaps that does make sense, because it's a pretty
common thing to customise.  And showing the colour as a background
colour would give a more correct impressions.

But might be confusing if that one thing behaved differently than the
rest.

Anybody have an opinion here?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no