Subject: Re: bug#15404: make_timespec undefined

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 17:59:04 +0300

> Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 09:38:35 -0400
> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Alas, bootstrapping tends to cause me a lot of trouble.  For instance,
> it deletes the old version of Emacs, so if anything goes wrong,
> I am basically shafted until I get it fixed.

One way of avoiding such a total loss is to have 2 separate bzr
branches, both bound to the main one on Savannah.  Assuming you
already have one such branch, here's a way of creating another one,
starting from the 1st branch's top-level directory:

  $ cd ..
  $ bzr branch --bind bzr+ssh://[email-masked]/emacs/trunk ./trunk2

When bzr is done (it should be pretty quick, assuming you have a
shared repo in the parent directory of your current emacs trunk),
bootstrap the new branch in trunk2, and then you can use that as a
spare branch.  E.g., you could always bootstrap trunk2, so that when
the "normal" build in the other branch fails, you could try in trunk2,
and if that works, you know you can bootstrap in the other branch
without fear.

Since both branches are bound to the mainline, you can commit from any
of them.