Subject: Re: bug#15399: 24.3.50; Eshell redirection broken in HEAD

From: chad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 11:11:46 -0700

On 17 Sep 2013, at 08:19, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Eshell redirection causes an error (Symbol's value as variable is void: cmd) in HEAD for the last week or so:
> 
> Thanks for the recipe.  Should be fixed now,

I'm still having trouble, and I'm not sure if it's a symptom of the
problem, the solution, or the precipitate. Let me give a little
more detail. Until recently, I had the following lines in
~/.emacs.d/eshell/profile:

	addpath -b /usr/local/bin >>> #<buffer *Messages*>
	addpath -b /usr/local/sbin >>> #<buffer *Messages*>
	addpath -b ~/bin >>> #<buffer *Messages*>

A semi-recent change broke redirection in eshell, but Stefan fixed
it yesterday (thanks Stefen).  After the fix, though, I'm seeing,
for each addpath directive:

Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Messages*>

Is this a side-effect of the solution? Should I file it as a different
bug? Should I stop trying to redirect into *Messages* (it's convenient
but not really necessary)?

Thanks,
~Chad