Subject: Re: bug#15395: 24.3; compare-windows missing in 24.3

From: Joe Fineman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 21:57:12 -0400

> (Please keep the debbugs address cc'd.)

Noted.

> Joe Fineman wrote:

> >> The 24.3 tar file available from ftp.gnu.org includes
> >> compare-w.el and compare-w.elc. Note that they live in a vc/
> >> subdirectory of lisp now.
> >
> > That seems to have been the problem.  It seems that Emacs was not
> > looking there -- and, needless to say, neither was I.

> In what way was Emacs "not looking there"?
> Please give a complete recipe that shows the problem, starting from
> emacs -Q.

> > For my many sins, I am running it under Windows XP Professional
> > Service Pack 3 Build 2600 with Cygwin 1.5.25(0.156/4/2). I did not
> > compile it myself.

> Is it the version from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/,
> or from somewhere else?

I don't remember.

I renamed away the compare-w.* files I had copied into /emacs-24.3.
Then, as before, compare-windows did not work: it gave the error
message "Cannot open load file: compare-w".

I then brought up emacs -Q from Cygwin.  There, compare-windows
worked.

I then added /emacs-24.3/lisp/vc to my load path in .emacs.
Thereupon, compare-windows worked in my own Emacs.

It appears that something I did, in my .emacs file or elsewhere,
caused my Emacs not to load lisp/vc.

I have had similar problems with previous versions of Emacs --
libraries that were there, but were not being looked at -- and solved
them the same way, by putting them explicitly in the load path.  This
time, it did not occur to me to do a thoro search for the missing
compare-w.*; I supposed it had been left out instead of tucked away.

It seems not to have been a bug, but one way or another, the thing is
working now.  Thank you for your efforts and your patience.
-- 
---  Joe Fineman    [email-masked]

||:  All of your biases have at some point been confirmed by  :||
||:  anecdote.                                                :||