Subject: Re: bug#15395: 24.3; compare-windows missing in 24.3

From: Joe Fineman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 13:01:44 -0400

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Joe Fineman wrote:
>
>> On upgrading from GNU Emacs 22.3 to 24.3, I found that the command
>> compare-windows did not work.  The documentation for it was there, but
>> the library (compare-w.el) was missing.  On copying compare-w.el &
>> compare-w.elc from Emacs 22.3, the difficulty vanished.
>
> Sorry, that doesn't make any sense to me.
>
> The 24.3 tar file available from ftp.gnu.org includes compare-w.el and
> compare-w.elc. Note that they live in a vc/ subdirectory of lisp now.

That seems to have been the problem.  It seems that Emacs was not
looking there -- and, needless to say, neither was I.

> You didn't give any details as to what kind of system you are using,
> whether you compiled Emacs yourself, etc.

I apologize.  I meant to do so, but forgot.  For my many sins, I am
running it under Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 Build 2600 with
Cygwin 1.5.25(0.156/4/2).  I did not compile it myself.

Thank you for your patience.
-- 
---  Joe Fineman    [email-masked]

||:  The wise man does at once what the fool does finally.  :||