Subject: 24.3; New Mail Marked Old in Emacs 24

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 10:18:32 -0500

Open up gnus and read INBOX from my home server.  All new mail has the O
mark and doesn't show up unless the group is entered with the prefix
option.  This behavior started with emacs24.  It worked just fine
before.  This only seems to happen with my personal mail server, so I
can believe it may be a server config issue but I'm at a loss for what
it could be.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.9)
 of 2013-04-22 on lamba
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10605000
System Description:	SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64)

Configured using:
 `configure
 '--prefix=/cray/css/compiler/cost/tools/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/SuSE-11-1'
 'CC=/opt/gcc/4.7.0/bin/gcc' 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/cpkg/v7/zlib/1.2.3/lib
 -L/opt/cpkg/v7/giflib/4.1.4/lib -L/opt/cpkg/v7/libjpeg/6b/lib
 -L/opt/cpkg/v7/libtiff/3.7.1/lib'
 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/cpkg/v7/zlib/1.2.3/include
 -I/opt/cpkg/v7/giflib/4.1.4/include -I/opt/cpkg/v7/libjpeg/6b/include
 -I/opt/cpkg/v7/libtiff/3.7.1/include''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  semantic-minor-modes-format: ((:eval (if (or semantic-highlight-edits-mode)  S)))
  gnus-agent-group-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-semantic-mru-bookmark-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-local-symbol-highlight-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-summary-mode: t
  global-semantic-decoration-mode: t
  global-srecode-minor-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  global-semantic-highlight-func-mode: t
  global-semantic-stickyfunc-mode: t
  global-semantic-show-unmatched-syntax-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  global-ede-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-a 2 c d <backspace> <backspace> C-a 1 c d SPC / p 
t m p / d a g / s v <tab> _ m <tab> <return> l s <return> 
s v n SPC r e v e r t SPC - R S-SPC . <return> s v 
n SPC l o g <return> s v n SPC <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> c d SPC l l <tab> <return> s v n SPC r 
e v e r t SPC - R S-SPC . <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<drag-mouse-1> C-x b * G r <tab> <return> g <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> y <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x C-f <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> ~ / l i b / d o <tab> d o <tab> e <tab> 
<tab> e m <tab> <return> C-s p a c k a g e s C-s C-s 
C-x C-f l i s <tab> p a c <tab> <return> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x p a o <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> a p r o p o s <return> j u 
s t - i o n <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> o n 
e - s p a c e <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-1> C-x b * g r <tab> <backspace> <backspace> 
G r <tab> <return> ^ <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
C-u <return> <up> <return> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <up> C-o <return> <up> q q y y M-x 
g n u s <return> y <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
2 new newsgroups have arrived
Checking new news...
Reading active file from news.supernews.com via nntp...
nnimap read 0k from mail.obbligato.org (initial sync of 10 groups; please wait)
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...
nnfolder: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done
Warning: Couldn't read newsgroups descriptions

Load-path shadows:
/users/dag/lib/dotfiles/dotemacs/lisp/gtags hides /cray/css/compiler/cost/tools/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/SuSE-11-1/share/emacs/site-lisp/gtags/gtags
/users/dag/lib/dotfiles/dotemacs/lisp/terminal hides /cray/css/compiler/cost/tools/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/SuSE-11-1/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/terminal

Features:
(shadow emacsbug apropos view gnus-dup semantic/symref/filter gud
gnus-uu yenc semantic/complete eieio-opt ediff asm-mode iso-transl
tabify autoconf autoconf-mode semantic/wisent/python
semantic/wisent/python-wy python rx two-column fuzzy binhex eudcb-ldap
jka-compr semantic/analyze/complete semantic/edit semantic/db-typecache
find-func pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu compile semantic/decorate/include eldoc
semantic/db-file data-debug cedet-files semantic/bovine/c hideif
semantic/bovine/c-by semantic/lex-spp semantic/bovine/gcc
semantic/bovine cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
ede/linux ede/make ruby-mode etags bbdb-ftp ange-ftp calc-alg calc-ext
calc-menu calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs shr browse-url tramp-cmds
noutline outline sort nndraft nnmh nndoc nnfolder nnimap parse-time tls
utf7 netrc gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap nntp
gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-win nnmail gnus-int gnus-range mail-source message rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode gmm-utils mailheader gnus gnus-ems
nnheader sh-script smie executable vc-svn tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs shell help-mode debug pcomplete format-spec term
disp-table ehelp electric vc-git hober2-theme django-theme-autoloads
github-theme-autoloads magit-simple-keys-autoloads magit-autoloads
monokai-theme-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads solarized-theme-autoloads
tango-2-theme-autoloads tron-theme-autoloads twilight-theme-autoloads
ujelly-theme-autoloads zen-and-art-theme-autoloads
zenburn-theme-autoloads package semantic/mru-bookmark semantic/db-mode
semantic/idle semantic/decorate/mode semantic/db-global
semantic/symref/global semantic/symref inversion semantic/dep
srecode/mode semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent srecode/insert
srecode/filters srecode/args srecode/find srecode/map srecode/ctxt
srecode/compile srecode/dictionary srecode/table ede/cpp-root ede/emacs
semantic/ia semantic/analyze/refs semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref
semantic/senator semantic/decorate pulse semantic/analyze semantic/sort
semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/db semantic/ctxt
semantic/format semantic/tag-ls semantic/find auto-complete-config
auto-complete popup srecode semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local ede/speedbar ede/files
ede ede/base ede/auto ede/source eieio-base eieio-speedbar speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe eieio-custom cedet-global cedet boxquote rect
org-import-icalendar icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs smtpmail auth-source eieio gnus-util
password-cache sendmail mail-utils bbdb-autoloads bbdb-hooks mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr doremi-frm
frame-cmds frame-fns avoid hexrgb doremi-cmd doremi ring+ whitespace
faces+ thingatpt eudcb-bbdb bbdb-com mailabbrev eudc cus-edit cus-start
cus-load eudc-vars ldap bbdb timezone llvm-mode tablegen-mode comint
ansi-color psvn byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile cconv advice
help-fns advice-preload derived edmacro kmacro wid-edit log-edit ring
pcvs-util add-log diff-mode pp elp ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind
ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util dired easymenu cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs server time smart-tab easy-mmode
cl-macs gv cl cl-lib time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dynamic-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)