Subject: 24.3; NTEmacs write-region behaviour with MUSTBENEW set to 'excl

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 20:21:37 +1200

I'm using write-region with the MUSTBENEW argument set to 'excl
to prohibit writing to an existing file. This works as advertised
on Ubuntu, but I happened to try the code under Windows and found
that the write was not prevented.

I further observed that, in this circumstance, the written
content only overwrites the start of the target file (leaving
the remainder), rather than replacing the whole file. This
appears to be the same behaviour as setting the APPEND argument
to zero.

Setting MUSTBENEW to t works as expected.

I'm using the following to test:

M-: (write-region (region-beginning) (region-end) "~/somefile" nil nil 
nil 'excl) RET

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
  of 2013-03-18 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
  `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --cflags
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
  -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: ENZ
   locale-coding-system: cp1252
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
call-interactively: End of buffer

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win
w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
w32 multi-tty emacs)