Subject: bug#15365: 24.3.50; Segfault when calling vc-git-log-edit-toggle-amend

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 16:05:27 +0300

On 14.09.2013 11:02, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> If you can reproduce this with bzr (I tried, but couldn't), please
> show the recipe.

There's no point trying, vc-bzr doesn't have a corresponding command. If 
the bug manifested during the usual commit procedure, I'd have noticed it.

> I have a number of local bzr repositories, and can
> create new ones at will, so I can use them for testing.  For any other
> VCS, I have only remote repositories on my machine, and I don't dare
> to run such tests for a remote repo.  If you can set up some scratch
> git repo for me at some URL, I will try using that to work on this
> bug.

Why scratch?
Since we're talking about a DVCS, you'd have to have a local repository 
clone to interact with it. So you'll end up with a local repo anyway.
I've seen the bug when trying to amend the latest commits in these two:

https://github.com/mooz/js2-mode.git
https://github.com/dgutov/diff-hl.git

> And yes, I try to stay away of git, and only use a handful of commands
> with it.  There are already people here whose refusal to use bzr is
> silently tolerated, so I don't see why my desire not to touch git any
> more than I have to should be met with a different reaction.

I don't think any of the people you mention are considered core 
contributors. And from casual contributors, many things can be tolerated 
(e.g. no tests, ChangeLog and NEWS entries), because a patch is often 
better than no patch.

> Thanks, this was "the missing link".  Please try running with the
> following change for a while, and see if it avoids the aborts, and
> does not produce any other redisplay problems:

Thank you, the crash seems to be fixed, no new problems so far.