Subject: bug#15329: saveplace restores dired positions to random places

From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 16:37:09 -0500

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:
>> The modern format would have a more extensible structure, similarly to how
>> bookmark.el does it.  Say, a sublist whose first element is the type of
>> the record, and the rest of which is the data for that record.
>
>Do you think it would be possible to use the existing
>infrastructure of bookmark.el, so for instance, to save
>a place in an Info manual, saveplace.el could call
>`Info-bookmark-make-record' and to restore it with
>`Info-bookmark-jump'.  This would be better than adding
>a third hook for saveplace (the second existing hook
>is desktop-specific like `Info-desktop-buffer-misc-data'
>and `Info-restore-desktop-buffer').

Yes; since both saveplace and bookmark are in the standard Emacs dist,
it's fine for them to share code, and would improve maintainability.

I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to work on this, though.  The
original bug here is about saving/restoring position in dired buffers.
While the current rather random behavior in dired is obviously a bug,
and fixing it would be a Good Thing, I'm not sure it rises to the level
where I drop other things to work on it :-).  However, if someone were
to write a patch (along the lines described in this bug report), I'd
certainly commit to reviewing it.

Best,
-Karl